CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Refractor Coming What Filters Recommended ???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

• Loc: 120/38

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Have a new Sky Watcher Pro 120ED Apo on its way. What filters should I consider getting especially for planet viewing? I have the OIII and a neutral density. Also considering a UHC filter. Feedback appreciated. Thanks Bill

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

For a good narrow-band "UHC-like" filter, I like the DGM Optics NPB filter:

CN REPORTS: DGM Optics NPB Filter

For a good Oxygen III filter, I recommend the Lumicon OIII filter, although the Thousand Oaks OIII and DGM OIII filters aren't bad either. Clear skies to you.

#3 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Vanguard

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

one of the best filters for planetary use on pretty much every planet is a #80A blue filter, sometimes called the Jupiter filter (from Orion brands). This blue filter is amazing on Jupiter, I've easily picked out the Red Spot on Jupiter in a 70mm refractor, so that should provide some pretty astounding views. But this filter's only for planetary and lunar, they're of no use for deep sky observing. Glad to help!

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yellow helps with seeing polar caps on Mars. Not sure how much benefit there is in getting UHC if you already have OIII.

#5 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

IME & IMO, the best general contrast filter for planets is the Baader Moon & Sky Glow. Magenta is very good for Mars.

Mike

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Yellow helps with seeing polar caps on Mars. Not sure how much benefit there is in getting UHC if you already have OIII.

I use them both. An UHC filter has two advantages over the O-III. First, it passes more bands than just the O-III, I believe they also pass the H-beta filter so it can enhance objects that do not respond to the O-III filter.

Second, O-III filters take a toll on the stars visible something like M-8 shows a a lot of nebulosity but at the cost of stars in the cluster. An UHC filter shows more stars so it can make a nice balance.

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics