Photo

New Refractor Coming What Filters Recommended ???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

• Loc: West of the Mississippi

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Have a new Sky Watcher Pro 120ED Apo on its way. What filters should I consider getting especially for planet viewing? I have the OIII and a neutral density. Also considering a UHC filter. Feedback appreciated. Thanks Bill

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

For a good narrow-band "UHC-like" filter, I like the DGM Optics NPB filter:

CN REPORTS: DGM Optics NPB Filter

For a good Oxygen III filter, I recommend the Lumicon OIII filter, although the Thousand Oaks OIII and DGM OIII filters aren't bad either. Clear skies to you.

#3 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

one of the best filters for planetary use on pretty much every planet is a #80A blue filter, sometimes called the Jupiter filter (from Orion brands). This blue filter is amazing on Jupiter, I've easily picked out the Red Spot on Jupiter in a 70mm refractor, so that should provide some pretty astounding views. But this filter's only for planetary and lunar, they're of no use for deep sky observing. Glad to help!

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yellow helps with seeing polar caps on Mars. Not sure how much benefit there is in getting UHC if you already have OIII.

#5 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

IME & IMO, the best general contrast filter for planets is the Baader Moon & Sky Glow. Magenta is very good for Mars.

Mike

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Yellow helps with seeing polar caps on Mars. Not sure how much benefit there is in getting UHC if you already have OIII.

I use them both. An UHC filter has two advantages over the O-III. First, it passes more bands than just the O-III, I believe they also pass the H-beta filter so it can enhance objects that do not respond to the O-III filter.

Second, O-III filters take a toll on the stars visible something like M-8 shows a a lot of nebulosity but at the cost of stars in the cluster. An UHC filter shows more stars so it can make a nice balance.

Jon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics