•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Misty Night Orion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

I had forgotten the joy of this little observing period in the Philippines in February. It started alone but ended up with 6 children and two teachers. All I did was set up a wee little refractor outside our cottage. Word got around. So you can see the little story and the observing sheet on the latest blog post (addresss below my signature).

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

Roland,
Orion still looks good in any scope. I like this sketch. Reminds me of what I see through my little 72mm refractor. Even binoculars show this target well. Just an amazing area. I bet the kids loved seeing this.

Clear Skies,

Ken

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Skylab

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Roland,

Nice sketch of Misty Night Orion :).

CS,KLU

:thanx:,

Tom

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the comments....yep...the kids really do enjoy it. I have set up a scope dozens of times in places that are far from the beaten path in the Philippines and Uganda. It only takes a few minutes and a crowd is there. Then we start viewing, talking, and answering questions. I still remember a little village in an Aeta region when we showed up after dark. 50 children, teachers, and an Aeta chief waited for us in the dark for almost 2 hours. We talked and observed with them for 3 hours...before they walked home. Scenes like this we never forget.

#5 Rutilus

Rutilus

Vanguard

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

Good work Roland.

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: The Desert Mountains

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Roland,

I always enjoy reading your entries on your blogs and your pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks for sharing this.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics