RTMC 2013: Is anyone going this year?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Rich56

Rich56

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

Was considering going to this years RTMC but when remembering how deserted it was last year am having 2nd thoughts, especially considering the full moon on Saturday.

So anyone going?

I loved it in it's heyday!

Rich

#2 Steve Fisher

Steve Fisher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Utah

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

I use to be a regular but I have skipped a few years. I looked at this years brochure and considered going but the meal price, lack of vendors and general lack of interest by anyone I know has brought me to a "No Way" decision this year.

#3 cphk96

cphk96

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Hollywood, CA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

I will be there this year. Figured I would give it one more chance before I put a fork in it.

Chris

#4 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Messenger

• Loc: Bakersfield, Ca

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'll be there with about 10 members of Kern Astronomical.

#5 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

I always go.

#6 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

I am doing a private astronomy outreach gig in Idyllwild that weekend instead. I will try to make it to RTMC next year, if there is one.

#7 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:44 AM

I wasn't going to go but now something has come up and I've been asked to come on up to meet with some people in person.

So I'll be there! Come find me for some free circus animal cookies.

#8 Jim Wood

Jim Wood

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

:roflmao:Looks like the Bakersfield folks are going to win the prizes this year since it will be a light crowd. Out Front, Out Front, Out Front.

#9 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Pre-registration indicates that this RTMC will be okay. Not as good as in its heyday, but then nothing really is. Remember, even though any individual star party is not pulling in the crowds it had fifteen years ago, RTMC Astronomy Expo is still larger than almost any other star party in the country.

The program looks strong again, with Warren Keller leading the Sunday Premium AstroImaging Workshop. Trina Rey, and a bunch of stuff about the solar system, is the keynote. Lots of others on lots of topics.

If you get there early, I'll see you at the gate.

Alex

#10 Rich56

Rich56

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

It says in the RTMC ad in Sky & Tele June that they'll be dozens of vendors.

This means they'll be dozens more than last year. :lol:

#11 ElkoAstro

ElkoAstro

Explorer 1

• Loc: Spring Creek, Nevada

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Richard Berry of AIP4WIN is scheduled to be there also.
Gerry Pennington
Elko Nevada

#12 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

:roflmao:Looks like the Bakersfield folks are going to win the prizes this year since it will be a light crowd. Out Front, Out Front, Out Front.

I hope so Jim. This is my 26th RTMC with no prizes. :bawling:

#13 Darren Bly

Darren Bly

Messenger

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

Pre-registration indicates that this RTMC will be okay. Not as good as in its heyday, but then nothing really is. Remember, even though any individual star party is not pulling in the crowds it had fifteen years ago, RTMC Astronomy Expo is still larger than almost any other star party in the country.

The program looks strong again, with Warren Keller leading the Sunday Premium AstroImaging Workshop. Trina Rey, and a bunch of stuff about the solar system, is the keynote. Lots of others on lots of topics.

If you get there early, I'll see you at the gate.

Alex

I'm hoping RTMC gets back to where it was 5 or 6 years ago. That would make me VERY happy.

#14 Rich56

Rich56

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'd be really interested in any reports as to how it went this year...maybe some photos of the vendor field or whatever.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for RTMC (I actually won a Merit Award back in 93 for my 20" Binocular scope) and wish it the best.

Rich

#15 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

The official numbers will not be in for a few weeks.....Takes time to figure out what the boy scouts took in at the gate.

But the pre registration was about the same as last year, and there was a crowd of at least what it was last year. That was, I think, 650.

RTMC Astronomy Expo has the same problem other astro shows have experienced lately getting the vendors to show up. With their corporate reorganizations and belt tightening, and the increasing number of places for them to exhibit, they have not been able to come out as they had in the past. I think they had 20 vendors there. We missed some of the big names, but Explore Scientific, TeleVue, Woodland Hills, and a reduced, but active OPT were there, as well as others. .

I personally cleared more than a few hundred on the swap meet.

Again, this is not the RTMC of a decade ago. It is still the largest star party west of Stellafane, I suspect, though. and there was lots to do. I got some great shots of the moon, and The program was as good as ever, I think.

Alex

#16 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

and a reduced, but active OPT were there, as well as others. .

Alex

I personally was very disappointed in OPT. They didn't even bother to unload their van. People would walk all the way up the hill to discover that the Televue rep didn't have anything to sell and then they would take a few steps further up only to see OPT had NOTHING on display for sale. If you bothered to ask them what was up they would indicate a 3 ring binder on a table and say "everything is in there just tell us what you want". I then heard them say that they were not going to bother unloading if nobody was going to buy since they would just have to pack it all back up again.

Yet, Farah at Woodland Hills didn't have enough help for all the business she had down at the other end of the event. Every time I would go by there hoping to catch her when she wasn't busy she would instead be swarmed with people.

I also want to say how amazed I am by that guy who shows up every year with his motor home FULL of used telescope parts to sell. The amount of work involved in off loading all of those boxes for people to go through is staggering. I am also very curious where he gets it all and how he makes enough profit to make it worth his while.

#17 Rich56

Rich56

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

"I personally was very disappointed in OPT"

A bit off topic but I've been disappointed by OPTs service in general.

It's really difficult to get a rep when you call them.

It's funny how in their magazine ads they always tout their great customer service...yeah...right

#18 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Don Lynn of the Orange County Astronomers club has news from the RTMC organizers that PATS 2013 is cancelled. With today's economy it is difficult for hobby manufacturers and vendors in all fields.

#19 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Encinitas, CA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

and a reduced, but active OPT were there, as well as others. .

Alex

I personally was very disappointed in OPT. They didn't even bother to unload their van. People would walk all the way up the hill to discover that the Televue rep didn't have anything to sell and then they would take a few steps further up only to see OPT had NOTHING on display for sale. If you bothered to ask them what was up they would indicate a 3 ring binder on a table and say "everything is in there just tell us what you want". I then heard them say that they were not going to bother unloading if nobody was going to buy since they would just have to pack it all back up again.

My sincere apologies. Our intention this year was to have solar demonstration, observation and Q&A during the day and visual observing and mini-seminars on imaging at night. We were spread a bit thin with the concurrent ASTROCats show so product and bodies were in short supply but in retrospect it would have been a much better idea to split up with a tent down in the trees alongside the other vendors while having solar and imaging sessions on the observing field to better accommodate all parties. I do hope the folks who joined us for the demonstrations enjoyed and benefitted, we certainly did and hope to do more of this in the future.

It was a bit of botched experiment with the product on display. Friday we had what I felt to be a good selection of boxed items on the tables and in the booth but unfortunately the conditions don't allow for display of actual product due to being set up outdoors. Another mistake on my part, we should have had signs up with the on-hand stock list rather than the binders and also clearly put out the offer to honor the RTMC discounts on the much greater selection of inventory at the store. The idea Saturday was to engage customers but Chris and I were of course happy to pull stock from the van. I'm very sorry that you were left with a less favorable impression and I certainly get your point. Definitely bad on me.

Several folks were disappointed by the lack of the "bargain bin" items we usually bring up but we'll have a rummage sale at the store during the SCAE festivities on July 13th.

Aside from my abject failures, how did you find the rest of the event? I'm encouraged by comments from the folks who go above and beyond to put RTMC on each year and look forward to seeing the show get back some of the fun and excitement in years past. The speaker lineup was great and the younger folks who came up late Saturday night were a very welcome surprise.

Clear skies,

Bill Dean
Oceanside Photo and Telescope

#20 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

Don Lynn of the Orange County Astronomers club has news from the RTMC organizers that PATS 2013 is cancelled. With today's economy it is difficult for hobby manufacturers and vendors in all fields.

Matt,

This announcement is probably worthy of its own thread.

I'm not so sure about the PATS cancellation having to do with the economy. The ASAE in Tucson was packed with vendors from all over the country in its first year, and it promises to be larger this year. I wonder if ASAE did so many things right that vendors were planning to set up in Tucson in favor of PATS.

Tom

#21 Rich56

Rich56

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Tom,

I'm not so sure about the PATS cancellation having to do with the economy.

I tend to wonder if this is more of a question about the So. Cal. audience being a fickle bunch.

This is why there's no NFL team here and people come to Dodger games late and leave early. :smirk:

I even see this behavior at our OCA star parties...observers arriving at sunset, and leaving at daybreak.

#22 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

At OCA Anza, I used to go down there Friday evening and not leave until Sunday morning. But that was when I worked in Corona and lived in Fullerton. But that was when I was making good money....now it is different.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics