6 replies to this topic

#1 astro-vert

astro-vert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have experience running various astronomy programs on a Mac that is running Windows via Parallels? I'm am specifically asking about ASCOM, Nebulosity, PHD, NexRemote, Sequence Generator Pro...

Mainly, can the Windows that is running on the Mac connect to the USB ports just like a stand-alone Windows machine?

Thanks for any beta on this subject.

Andrew

#2 astro-vert

astro-vert

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Oh, and I meant to ask in this post... anyone have success running Chrome Remote Desktop? I'm trying to get my system entirely remote, so one option is to use my *BLEEP* old laptop out at the scope and control it remotely via Chrome Remote Desktop... inside testing shows promise.

The other possible option is to run a long Active USB extention cable (needs to be ~30-40') inside to my iMac. That's why I am asking about the Windows 7 on a Mac... Other reports are the Ascom works a-okay...

Thanks again,
Andrew

#3 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

yeah, it works. i've used both parallels and vmware and never had a problem. normally i just have the mount connected to the ascom driver (with the G2 i used the ethernet interface; with the mach1gto i am using a usb-serial device). i then start wifiscope and point my iphone at the virtual machine's IP address. works great.

i have also connected my meade DSI to the VM to run pempro, and connected the STT-8300M to the VM to run the firmware updater.

#4 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

dunno about chrome - i just use Screen Sharing.app to connect to my macbook air, which is running the VM and equinox image.

#5 JMW

JMW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

I have run several ASCOM related programs using Windows 7 on VMware fusion. I also have a 2nd SSD on my Macbook pro for booting native Windows 7. Just bought a 2nd laptop to dedicate to Windows so I can run 2 laptops at once. I prefer SkySafari and plan to have it talk to WifiScope on my ASCOM/Windows laptop. I wanted to spread the application windows out on a couple of laptop screens.

#6 helgeras

helgeras

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

I am using parallels, and it works fine. I have connected a focuser, camera, mount and a gamepad to control the mount via usb and use ASCOM/EQMOD.
Software used is: MaxFocus, Maxim (trial version), EQASCOM, Astrotortilla and more.
I have had the computer reboot a few times when I plug in an USB device, but it is rare, and have only happened when plugging in the device.

I use TeamViewer to get a remote desktop on my windows computer in the house.

Regards,
Helge

#7 Ranger Tim

Ranger Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Idaho, USA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

I run Deep Sky Stacker via Parallels/Windows XP on my MacBook Pro. I have run PHD, Meade's app's and Nikon Capture 4 successfully as well. I prefer the Parallels solution over a stand alone PC because of the ability to "suspend" the desktop and the ability to drag and drop files between platforms so easily.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics