• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Mark Seibold DP Review Gallery- Click on Image Twice or Follow Directions to ...

I have re-entered a different hosting site (above link) as DP Review until I can figure out why I am unable to post images directly to the pages here as I used to. This above link is to DP Review- Click onto the image and then click again for full size. Or click to the Slideshow-Start in the upper tool bar above the thumbnail image index; then as the next window advances you, click in the top tool bar to "Fullscreen", Wait to load and the entire screen will open to the image with no inhibiting online frames- you can then use your keypad arrow <Left ~ Right> keys to scroll through the entire gallery- if you choose to use your mouse, the perimeter frames return briefly yet a translucent overlay floating. This is the new Fullscreen effect that many websites like Facebook and Google+ have adopted from DP reviews design by professional photographers some years ago. It is the new web standard now for maximum viewing of photo and art images. It would be nice to see this in CN one day or the black & grey gallery screens like in Astronomy Sketch of the Day.

After observing Saturn during the opposition for the past week, I am still waiting for better seeing conditions to render a large pastel sketch. The Cassini division was easily visible for nearly its full circumference at times during a one hour period last Sunday night into Monday morning for brief periods- the north equatorial belt was mostly a distinct rust brown wash- the North Polar 'Storm' was a mere brown-grey oval. The planet shows some bluish-grey edge darkening at medium magnification. So I worked up this practice sketch in smaller format of Black 9" X 12" Strathmore Art Again paper with use of several soft dry pastels, possibly a little too colorized as I am some what out of practice after a few years last attempting Saturn. Consider this a rough draft to a larger later work yet to come. Thanks to all for allowing me to refer to your images as an initial template to start.

Observed through a 10.1" Dobsonian f/4.5 Newtonian with medium to medium high magnification, 9.7mm Plossl @ 120X, 6mm Orthoscopic @ 192X, and 5mm Plossl at 230X.
Seeing condition were mostly average to slightly above on the night of May 5th from 7UT ~ 10UT (morning of May 6th, 2013) with light wind at 57 ~ 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

The art was photographed with a Sony NEX5 with a 55mm Mamiya f/1.4 lens. Processed in Photoshop ARC for color balance and contrast.

-Mark
Saturn Pastel Sketch 9" X 12" on Black Strathmore Artagain paper, ...

#2 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

Very nice!

Ed D

#3 JeanB

JeanB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Quite an impressive artwork, Mark!

Jean

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Ed and Jean

I hope that someone can tell me how to post open images in CN like I used to. Either I have forgot the old method, the newer technology evades me, or I blame it on old age. :foreheadslap: :question: :tonofbricks: Why doesn't CN just have an easy uploading feature button like most websites today? :help:

Thanks to any of you for info,

-Mark
[image]Posted Image[/image]

#5 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Nice work Mark,

That is an impressive sketch. You are very skilled with pastels. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Ken

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Nice work, Mark. Enjoyed looking over "your" planet.

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Thanks Ken and Roland

Again this is not my usual technique as it was only a practice sketch of very small size in 9" X 14". I had worked up to 32" X 40" format recently and will hope to produce a Saturn sketch in that size with detail if I can get the seeing and to a larger telescope soon as my old 10.1" f/4.5 is quite limited of seeing finer details on Saturn.

I just realized of the two hyperlinks that I posted, only the first to Photobucket image hosting seems to work as a link. That site was the one that I used to post open images here but it does not seems to work that way now.

I am still hoping that someone can inform me of the proper posting procedure to place an open image into the posted page here as I used to do. I'll also write to the moderator.

Thanks again to anyone that can inform me.

Mark

#8 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

Fine to see a sketch from you again on CN!

#9 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Jef

Just a small practice sketch but I couldn't display it directly. I wrote to the moderator. I'm waiting for an answer. Can you tell me how you display images directly in a post? My old system no longer seems to function for direct posted images, hence my link to DP Review above here.

Thanks for any info,

Mark

#10 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Mark,

Very beautiful Pastel of Saturn :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Very nice piece. I can tell you were quite the careful observer. Very nice job. Noticed some Enckes coming through!

Pete

#12 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:49 AM

Mark,

Nice work on planet Saturn.
That's great detail using one of those 10.1" Coulter mirrors.

Frank :)

#13 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thank you Tom, Pete and Frank

Although I plan to produce some more sketches of Saturn soon and in larger format with the limited capacity of my old Coulter Odyssey 10.1" Dobsonian, I actually provide more sidewalk astronomy lately for the public. I've been out for the past month as weather improves now in the Pacific Northwest and my home town of Portland, allowing hundreds of local Portland citizens to observe Saturn and the moon. *All of the photo images you see here were actually taken with my camera over the telescope eyepiece while out with the public. Somewhere in between, I will occasionally find time to do some sketching if not worn out while playing with entertaining and educating the public. (; >

-Mark

At a large all night food cart court block in central Portland >
http://www.dpreview....432_stitch_a...
At the local 24 hour Coffeehouse where I do this almost nightly now >
http://www.dpreview....799_rightsid...
Again at the Southeast Grind Coffeehouse as usual >
http://www.dpreview....ndlunarsatur...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics