New Siebert Star Splitters join the family

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Just received the final pieces for my "below 10mm" 'ortho' set. In the middle, from left to right are the SS3; 4.9, 5.9, 6.9, and 7.9mm, SS4; 8.9, and 9.9mm. The SS4's have an adjustable eye cup (shown extended). This new set features a shoulder cutout to hold the lens cap on. On previous versions, the lens cap fit over the body of the EP.

In back are my older model SS3's 2.9, 3.4, 3.9, and 4.4mm. Down in front: the Monocentrics; 12, 14.5, 17.5, and 20mm. Also in back are the 2x and 3.5x amplifiers/barlows for the Monocentrics.

I love these EP's as much as I love my TV's. I also get a lot of pleasure out of supporting the one man shops like Harry's. I really admire the folks that can make a livelihood in this area, in this economy. :-)

Posted Image

#2 Moonglum

Moonglum

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hi John.
Do you know if Harry makes a Star splitter or equivalent at 15-16mm? I need the 60 degree FOV and want the contrast and sharpness at this focal length.
Great collection btw. Nice to have so many of the same series...

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

That's quite a collection John. I have but a single SS4 8.4mm but it's one of my preferred eyepieces.

#4 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

@moon - Harry's website only mentions the SS series up to 12.5. Another option in that FL is the Ultra Series. With a 6-element, 70+ AFOV and 22mm ER at $179 it's a bit more expensive than the SS series, but looks like a good deal! Or perhaps the SS design can be implemented at that Focal Length.

The only thing that goes wanting with Harry's EP's are that the FL is stamped on the said and hard to read in poor lighting conditions. At the suggestion of someone else on CN I got a stack of printable water-transfer sheets like they used to have for decals on models when I was a kid. You can use a laser printer to print the text on the sheet, then cut it up and apply the decals for focal length one att a time with a little bit on water. looks very nice!!! Also, lead times are 4-6 weeks; so you have to be patient, not good for impulse buying satisfaction! :D However, it is 'way' worth the wait!

I would just give him a call; like everyone else in this hobby, he loves to talk about it, you'll get a geat recommendation concerning which EP is best for you, and learn a lot about the EP you'll never find written up somewhere.

#5 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Very cool collection indeed!
Calling and talking to him is the way to go.
I agree also that it's well worth the modest wait for him to build your ep.

Very happily observing with an Observatory, four Ultra's, two Starsplitter's and a 1.5x as among the most often used part of my gear.

#6 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

I agree also that it's well worth the modest wait for him to build your ep.

I'm with you Izar, knowing they're built to order just for you! Alone, that's worth the wait; knowing you're getting the latest design :-) Also, Harry will call you if he's not going to make the 6 weeks. This set only took an extra week; I had to wait for my Pier adapter from Dan's Pier Plates anyway. Turns out, they both came on the same! Along with the bad weather (how does it know when to rain??? it's inimical!)

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

John,

I see this in your sig: "Zoom 2-4,3-6,8-32."

I can guess that the "Zoom 2-4" is the Nag Zoom 2-4, and the "3-6" is the Nag Zoom 3-6. I have both those, also. But what is the "8-32?" Does Al make an 8-32 zoom? Or is that zoom from Harry?

:grin:
Mike

#8 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi Mike, yeah that's the Televue 8-32. I didn't know they made one until I searched for it. I gathered some opinions on it; apparently it lack the magic pixie dust the rest of TV's line has, it's not wowsers :-) I haven't had a chance to really use it at all yet. I've been waiting for my Observatory to come together; that should have been last night, come and gone with the bad weather. I have a literal gold mine waiting to be looked at now!

I will compare it with the Baader Mark III, and the short FL Nagler zoom's too, when the time comes.

#9 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Are you sure that's not an 8-24 zoom?

#10 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

thanks Mark, you are of course correct; it is 8-24. :-)

#11 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

thanks Mark, you are of course correct; it is 8-24. :-)

John,

The now discontinued 8-24 TeleVue zoom was a re-badged Vixen, FYI. The only eyepiece from TV not exclusive to them.

As for focal lengths: If the barrel has space, any typical label maker has available fluorescent tape. If you print the focal length on a, say, short piece of label, you will always be able to read it at night. Or you can simply print black letters on white tape or vice versa.

I do that with Paracorr settings--all my eyepieces have letter code labels on the side so I don't have to remember the correct setting for the eyepiece.

#12 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

So, a Vixen then. harrumph. Well that explains the unremarkable views! At least I know the magic isn't just in my head. :-)

That's a great idea for labeling Don!

#13 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Yea, I think Vixens are probably one of the most underrated of all eyepieces.

#14 Moonglum

Moonglum

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the advice John!

#15 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Yea, I think Vixens are probably one of the most underrated of all eyepieces.

From what I've read, there is merit in that viewpoint. Especially with regards to the LVW's. However, I was underwhelmed with the views so far; even with my "eye closed" thinking it was pure TV :D

Back on topic, weather is poor for the next week... maybe I'll get some partly cloudy nights to get them seated and my mount up on the pier too!

#16 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Don,

As for focal lengths: If the barrel has space, any typical label maker has available fluorescent tape. If you print the focal length on a, say, short piece of label, you will always be able to read it at night. Or you can simply print black letters on white tape or vice versa.

I do that with Paracorr settings--all my eyepieces have letter code labels on the side so I don't have to remember the correct setting for the eyepiece.

I avoid labels because I'm afraid they'll peel off in my dew-prone area. It would not be a good thing for the sticky side of a label to end up on an eyepiece or Paracorr lens.

Did you mean "glow-in-the-dark" when you wrote "fluorescent"? I used to put glow-in-the-dark tape on some of my astronomy equipment to make it easier to find in the dark. But then I thought that even that little bit of non-red light might diminish my dark adaptation so I took all the tape off.

Mike

#17 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Don,

I avoid labels because I'm afraid they'll peel off in my dew-prone area. It would not be a good thing for the sticky side of a label to end up on an eyepiece or Paracorr lens.

Did you mean "glow-in-the-dark" when you wrote "fluorescent"? I used to put glow-in-the-dark tape on some of my astronomy equipment to make it easier to find in the dark. But then I thought that even that little bit of non-red light might diminish my dark adaptation so I took all the tape off.

Mike

LOL. My label maker labels have to be removed with a razor blade and solvent. No way dew would ever cause them to loosen. I put one on the outside of a rain gauge that sits outside and 10 years later the label is intact, while the plastic of the rain gauge is falling apart.
I meant fluorescent, i.e. day-glo so easily seen under very little light. I did not mean phosphorescent, which would mean glow in the dark.
I wonder if reflective label material is available?
My Paracorr labels are black letters on white and easy to read at night.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics