• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 derangedhermit

derangedhermit

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

Florida was a special place, a unique place.

I've noticed how dark it is when you're out on the water - in the Gulf, one of the Great Lakes, the Baltic (not during the summer of course), the Mediterranean. OK, the Mediterranian wasn't so dark where I was, but maybe there are dark parts.

I've also noticed flying over the oceans at night how dark the sky is, and how quickly you can learn to recognize where you are by the lights on the ground seven miles below you, and how beautiful the sunrises can be up there.

#27 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

I've noticed how dark it is when you're out on the water - in the Gulf, one of the Great Lakes, the Baltic (not during the summer of course), the Mediterranean. OK, the Mediterranian wasn't so dark where I was, but maybe there are dark parts.

Over the years I've had the good fortune to have occasionally observed from some of the supposedly "darkest" locations in the world. Nevertheless, the darkest skies I ever encountered were on the Island of Nantucket off the Massachussetts coast about 40 years ago.

On that occasion the island was surrounded by a low sea fog which blocked all the already subtle light from the mainland (the island itself had virtually no local lighting at night back then). Although fully dark adapted I was quite unable to see any indication whatever of my observing companion who was backed by a distance line of dark trees, even though he was only about 25' from me! The NLM, which I took great pains to determine, was very close to 8.0 .

BrooksObs

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics