Photo

Sky X Pro Camera Control Add or Maxim DL w/ CCDAP?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stephenville, TX

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

I am wanting to get into CCD Autopilot and so I am looking at what all I will need to be completely automated.

I currently have Starry Night Pro Plus 6, Sequence Generator Pro, Nebulosity 3, Artemis Capture, and Backyard EOS.

CCDAP works with either CCDSoft (no longer available), The Sky X Pro Camera Control Add-on, or Maxim DL and then I need to get The Sky X Pro for it to use for planetarium functions/plate solving.

So... This leaves me with buying the Camera Control Add-on for the Sky X Pro or getting Maxim DL. I use both CCD and DSLR. Any thought on the Camera Control Add-on? Should I get Maxim DL instead? Do I need both for some reason?

Also, as a side note, I want either Tpoint or Maxpoint as well and since I will be using The Sky X Pro with CCDAP, I am getting the idea the Tpoint add-on would be a better choice than Maxpoint.

Any advice from those using the above software would be great.

Thanks,

Rob

#2 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

I have TSX Pro with all the addons, I also have an older copy of MaxIm DL 4.5 & the currently still supported CCDSoft5. I have final gotten to the point where I like TSX (stopped using TS6). All things being equal if I have had to currently choose between only TSX with camera addon and MaxIm I would choose MaxIm.

In my case I still end up using CCDSoft a lot. I don't think the camera addon for TSx is feature rich enough as a replacement program for CCDSoft. The big plus the CO has over CCDSoft is the very much improved plate solving. It is very fast and reliable.

My problem with CO is its lack of processing features and lack of plugins. The autoguiding is done from a separate module. This makes for some cumbersome operations. For instance if you want to swap functions between the guiding and imaging cameras. CCDSoft was also much more script friendly than the CO is.

#3 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

Thanks, Marcus. I have another question for you:

Will the Sky X Pro plate solve using Maxim DL for its camera and not having the Camera Add-on?

I see that I can still get CCDSoft IF I buy the $1200 "Universal" The Sky Pro but I don't want all the stuff it comes with **just** to get CCDSoft.

Thanks,

Rob

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'd look at Sequence Generator Pro. It's as capable (if not more) and it's quite a bit cheaper.

#5 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'd look at Sequence Generator Pro. It's as capable (if not more) and it's quite a bit cheaper.

I own it and found it a bit buggy for my taste (as of 6 months ago) and then it can't use FocusMax which I didn't like because its own focus routine just wasn't good enough.

Rob

#6 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

I've found SGP to be very reliable and the developers very responsive, maybe it's been improved in the last six months.

Chris

#7 robininni

robininni

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

I've found SGP to be very reliable and the developers very responsive, maybe it's been improved in the last six months.

Chris

They are very responsive and nice! I still have it and may use it later. I'm sort of collecting 'all' the software out there :).

Rob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics