• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 paulr57

paulr57

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Asheboro, NC

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

I ordered 4 items from Orion on May 6th. A 12" truss reflector, Shroud and Case set, AC Adapter, and a WiFi module. All were in stock. The estimated delivery was calculate to be between the 9th and 14th.

On the 8th I got the AC adapter, on the 9th I got the wifi module, the case and shroud will be delivered on the 13th, and finally the scope will arrive on the 14th.

Sigh...I'm teased with all the extra's and have to wait til the last delivery day to get the scope? They all came from the same place and they all are going to the same place. I don't get it lol.

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

Considering it's UPS, just feel lucky you really haven't received a "UPS Puzzle". Lots of threads here of UPS damaged packages, especially with OTAs....United Puzzle Service, We broke it, you deal with it.....unfortunately, that seems to be the way it is.

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Well, you can't know for sure that everything shipped on exactly the same day but there is this:

Different size/weight packages move by the most efficient method that the shipper can provide.

This usually means that the bigger/heavier it is, the more likely that it will make its journey on a truck (freight rate).

Smaller, ligher items often make at least part of their trip on Airplanes.

#4 Catapoman

Catapoman

Apollo

• Loc: VA

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

Sigh...I'm teased with all the extra's and have to wait til the last delivery day to get the scope? They all came from the same place and they all are going to the same place. I don't get it lol.

I bet you're having clear skies right now too. :)

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

No doubt right up to the time the brown truck shows up....

#6 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Well, you can't know for sure that everything shipped on exactly the same day but there is this:

Different size/weight packages move by the most efficient method that the shipper can provide.

This usually means that the bigger/heavier it is, the more likely that it will make its journey on a truck.

Smaller, ligher items often make at least part of their trip on Airplanes.

Exactly. True for Fedex as well.

#7 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

They all came from the same place and they all are going to the same place. I don't get it lol.

This is not necessarily true. In some cases the products are drop shipped from the manufacturer direct to the consumer. Just because you bought everything from vendor X, does not mean everything was shipped from vendor X's facility.

#8 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

In some cases the products are drop shipped from the manufacturer direct to the consumer.

Very good point. Vendors usually cannot afford to keep a large stock on hand of higher priced items, such as telescopes.

#9 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Exactly. Vendors also do no pull your full cart from inventory then ship it when it comes to larger items. They want to get paid per item so they pull, charge then ship. You don't see these transactions on your CC but they are done internally with the manufacture and the CC company. Then you just get your final total/charge.

#10 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Most vendors I've dealt with will give you the cost up front (many even provide free shipping). If they can't ship them together, they have usually either broken up the quoted delivery charge, or ate the additional charge....I do not bevlieve I have ever been asked to "pay more" after hitting the "submit" button......

#11 btb

btb

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast Indiana

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

I order a scope and a diagonal from Orion earlier this year and they were shipped from 2 different locations.

#12 paulr57

paulr57

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

The tracking info showed all 4 items made it to the UPS Distribution center on the same day. I have to laugh as I'm at the far edge of the delivery area and each delivery is an 80 mile round trip.

The delivery man just shook his head and told me thank god he gets paid by the hour! Lol

#13 btb

btb

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast Indiana

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Sounds like the people with the good backs only work certain days.

#14 vorkus

vorkus

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pgh, PA USA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Sometimes it can be quite a puzzle. I ordered vitamins for my mom and had to be there to sign for it. $10 worth of vitamins. On the other hand UPS left $1000 worth of computer parts in front of my apartment door. I wasn't expecting them so I didn't go home after work.
The box sat there until 11pm. Fortunately no one in the building stole them. When I was still an apartment dweller I used to prefer Fedex, because when they failed to deliver during the day I could stop at the distribution center (close to work) after 5pm and pick up my packages.

#15 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

Know what you mean. Same here, sign for a $10 catalog item, but when I got a Bose home theater, luckily I was home; the driver told me he was glad I was home as the delivery instructions from the seller was "leave at front door". Nothing like a box with "Bose" in big 8" letters on the side says "steal me"....

#16 paulr57

paulr57

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Finally! Everything came today even though the scope it's self wasn't due til tommorow. I have it setup but I'm struggling to get the optics collimated :(

I'm off to the Reflector section for some tips!

#17 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

The signature requirement depends on one of two things, whether the item is insured (signature is then required over a certain amount) or if the sender has specifically marked that a signature is required. At least that is how it is suppose to be, but I have had them drop insured packages without knocking and without a signature. Anyone that sends something of high value, whether insured or not, should always request a signature, but it may cost extra.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics