Photo

Powering TV Sky Tour: marine battery/Dewbuster?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nanjason

nanjason

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southeastern PA, USA

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I have the televue sky tour computer setup on my Gibraltar mount which I use with the NP101. When I'm using this setup, I also have a deep cycle marine battery which powers a DewBuster to keep dew away.

The DewBuster controller has a couple of full power output jacks which can be used to power accessories. I'd like to use one to power the Sky Tour. Anyone out there done this who can share how to go about it? The Sky Tour does not have a power input jack, so I'm assuming I'd need to make something that plugs into where the 9 volt battery goes, but on the other side has the male input for the dewbuster.

I will probably call TV and also Ron at dewbuster to make sure I don't fry the thing, but wanted to check here to get input in case someone here has already blazed the trail.

Thanks!

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

Check a local electronics store for a DC-DC converter box that takes 12V in and outputs 9V. These usually have a slector switch that can be set for different output voltages. Standard 9V batteries have low output current capacity so any of the voltage converters will work because their output will have a higher current capacity than the battery.

Electronic devices expect to be fed power at a specific voltage. They consume as much current as they are designed to take. A power supply that can provide more current than a device needs won't harm the device, the extra capacity will just be not used.

Phil

#3 jchaller

jchaller

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tenino, WA.

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

I have a DC/DC converter to power my laptop, and while it has the numerous output voltages and pin arrangements, it doesn't have a 9 volt output.

I did find this: http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm

You would have modify the input and output cables to match your requirements.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics