•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CG4 carry bag

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hello, I'm looking for a soft case for my newly acquired CG4. I'm considering Orions bag:
http://www.telescope...ase/p/15175.uts

But I suspect this bag is only a single compartment. I'd prefer a bag with separate pockets for the weights, ep tray, etc. Can anyone suggest what they use for this mount (and is still reasonably affordable like Orion's)?

#2 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Check second-hand stores for a used golf bag.

#3 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Vanguard

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

This is the one I got for my Omni 120. It is divided because one side is for the tube. The other side also has a couple of velcro tabs for securing the counterweight bar and weights. I didn't really like the looseness of everything, it just seemed awkward to carry with unbalanced weight on one end or the other. I now use it for just holding my tube (sometimes 2 of them) and prefer to keep the mount set up and just fold the legs for travel in the back of the car. Seems a lot easier to me.

Eric

#4 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Loosenes doesn't bother me too much, I also have a pair of the Zhumell "medium" cases (giant in my book :-) ). It has a lot of extra room too, so I've taken to just using them for storage of my optical tubes when they're in the basement. Occasionally I'll rearrange so that I have the tube and mount in the same bag, taking up extra room with small ep bags, etc. But it's a bit of a pain to repack every time I'm heading out, hence the desire for a dedicated case.

Looks like the two Orion cases will be the way to go (the golf bag was a good suggestion, but they're a bit bulkier than I had in mind). Next to decide which one...mount only or some extra room for the scope. Hmmm...come to think of it the extra room could also be used to carry a smaller alt az mount, which might go well with the Zhumell bag if it carried a couple of scopes. More to ponder....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics