CG4 carry bag

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hello, I'm looking for a soft case for my newly acquired CG4. I'm considering Orions bag:
http://www.telescope...ase/p/15175.uts

But I suspect this bag is only a single compartment. I'd prefer a bag with separate pockets for the weights, ep tray, etc. Can anyone suggest what they use for this mount (and is still reasonably affordable like Orion's)?

#2 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Check second-hand stores for a used golf bag.

#3 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

This is the one I got for my Omni 120. It is divided because one side is for the tube. The other side also has a couple of velcro tabs for securing the counterweight bar and weights. I didn't really like the looseness of everything, it just seemed awkward to carry with unbalanced weight on one end or the other. I now use it for just holding my tube (sometimes 2 of them) and prefer to keep the mount set up and just fold the legs for travel in the back of the car. Seems a lot easier to me.

Eric

#4 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Loosenes doesn't bother me too much, I also have a pair of the Zhumell "medium" cases (giant in my book :-) ). It has a lot of extra room too, so I've taken to just using them for storage of my optical tubes when they're in the basement. Occasionally I'll rearrange so that I have the tube and mount in the same bag, taking up extra room with small ep bags, etc. But it's a bit of a pain to repack every time I'm heading out, hence the desire for a dedicated case.

Looks like the two Orion cases will be the way to go (the golf bag was a good suggestion, but they're a bit bulkier than I had in mind). Next to decide which one...mount only or some extra room for the scope. Hmmm...come to think of it the extra room could also be used to carry a smaller alt az mount, which might go well with the Zhumell bag if it carried a couple of scopes. More to ponder....

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics