• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have read a whole lot about storing hypered Tech pan in nitrogen or in a freezer, but have not read any material concerning the storage of hypered, unexposed film in a vacuum. I have had a 10 exposure roll of film in the hypering chamber for a few days at about 10 in. Hg, and I wanted to hear some feedback from everyone about if this was a good idea, or if I have already ruined the film. Storage in a vacuum seems like the obvious solution to the moisture problem. I have heard that the film can be dried out so much that static electricity occurs when winding it, but are there any more serious effects of storage in a vacuum?

Clear skies,
Noah

#2 Jeff Phinney

Jeff Phinney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: CA

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

You're best to store it sealed in dry N2(with slight positive pressure) and keeping it in the freezer. The base fog of hypered film increases rapidly when kept at room temp. regardless of vacuum or not.

#3 AstroMan0

AstroMan0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dedham, Massachusetts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Can I put the hypering chamber in the freezer?

Noah

#4 Jeff Phinney

Jeff Phinney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: CA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

If the integrity of the chambers seals are ok I don't see why not, but you're best to do it with a positive pressure of dry N2 in the chamber. This should prevent any outside, moisture laden air from being drawn into the chamber while it's in the freezer.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics