•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filters and O rings on the FW8G-STT filter wheel.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DJohnson

DJohnson

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Glendale Arizona

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

I recently purchased the above filter wheel for my STT camera, and am slightly confused at the instructions concerning the O-rings and filters.

I have a set of LRGB and Ha filters from Astrodon. According to that site the filters are 3mm thick. By the SBIG instruction manual, I should put one of the supplied O rings, then drop in the filter, and then put back on the filter retainer plate.

When I do that, the filters stick up above the surface of the filter wheel by a non insignificant amount. When I try to put back on the filter retainer plate, and because I am only using 5 filters, the retainer plate does not sit 'flat', and some of the filters, (namely those adjacent to the empty filter holes) look to be slightly tilted in their seats.

I removed the plate, pulled out the filters and reinserted them, sans o rings. Now, the retainer plate will reattach flush with the filter wheel, but the filters themselves appear to be a tiny bit loose. When I used some compressed air to clean them off, I could see them very slightly moving in their seats.

I appreciate any and all assistance in this manner.

#2 Joe C

Joe C

Viking 1

• Moderators

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

In my FW8-ST8300, I placed my filters in the wheel then the o-rings then the filter retainer. That way, the filter retainer, when not sitting flat still holds onto the filters but only contacts the o-rings. This allows for the filters to have a full contact on the wheel and the retainer to have multiple contact points on the o-rings.

#3 Amletico

Amletico

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Italia

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hello DJohnson
I have a problem very similar;
I use a FW8G-STT wheel, and 3 Astronomik filters, and they are only 1 mm thick;

1) when I insert only 1 o-ring, the filter is very loose: it makes a lot of vibration and noise while the wheel is rotating !
2) when I insert 2 o-rings,(the filter is put in the middle of them) the upper oring sticks above the surface, and filter retainer plate is impossible to close.

How did you solved the problem ?
I used the original SBIG o-rings, and you ?

I will appeciate any help !

Thanks

Giorgio
(Italy)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics