• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:26 AM

First Astro pic through my nexstar 8SE. I know the quality is not as good like most if not all from members here. Used my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and Orion SteadyPix Universal Smartphone Telescope Photo Adapter holding my phone with the stock 25mm eyepiece. Used my baader zoom to find then view Saturn first then swapped out the eyepiece to take a pic. Seems a 2x or 3x barlow just got added to my wish list. :grin:

Saturn was a bit too bright for my phone which made me decide to purchase a filter, should I get a moon or polarizing filter? Are they the same or different? Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

:bow: Hehe, seen the photo before I read your post and giggled and knew what you did. Last month I did the same using my HTC one phone just messing around. did you try to use the manual settings like ISO and stuff? it helps a little, I was able to get a little more detail then yours, not much... But I have the 6SE you are bringing in more light then me ;) But anyhow I just did it for fun that night, I did take some really good ones of the moon using the phone.

#3 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

It's not a brightness issue.. It's an over exposure problem. Because it's dark outside, the phone adjusts the shutter speed to allow more light. So the shutter speed is slower which allows more light. Since Saturn is bright in the eyepiece but your surroundings are dark, Saturn turns up as a bright blob. Not sure how you can get a faster shutter speed on the S3. There might be a camera app out there that can adjust that.

#4 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

Be very careful, once you start taking pictures with your phone you will see less money in your wallet in about a year :foreheadslap:! I know from experience :help: :roflmao:. Good Luck!!

#5 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

James - I know that feeling. I have gotten the bug real bad. I am trying to save up for a VX mount. :tonofbricks:

#6 Tyranthrax

Tyranthrax

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

OK so a few weeks ago my wife did the same exact thing. Funny I know but let me go into what happens next. You start taking more and more, then you think, why not go a bit deeper down teh rabit hole to get better pics, obviously you are interested. Then the next thing you know you ar ebuyinga web cam like i did becuasae it's cheeper. . .you get some ok pictures, but not as good as you would like to show off. Make a mount and scour the internet and forums on how to make it work right. . .after a while you get alittle frustrated, things don't tliek to line up etc etc. ..then you buy a better camera and have much better luck. This is where life is good again.

My tip is if you really enjoy doing this, skip the web cam part and th frustration that comes withit. I myself bought an Orion Star Shoot Deep space imager II and I am enjoing makeing pictures again. its good enough to get you pics with out shelling out the $1600 for a kick butt camera. I'm getting really god shots with the 6SE, so your 8Se would rock with this camera. Its good enough to make nice pictures, but cheep enough to kinda put the toe into the waters. I also am no good with technical things and fuond it easy to figure out with the manual and a PDF I downloaded some wheres. took me about an hour to get it going. Like these guys said once you start down the rabbit hole you hav to decide how deep yu want to go.

Also still images are cool, I prefer to record then stack it in registax 6 the difference between the raw uncut look, (part of the problem) and the fixed look, world of differnce. It really cleans up the image, Registax is free btw, and there are some good tutorials on youtube on hwo to mess with it. Good luck and hope it works out! (filter perhaps if you don't wnt to go with a better camera.)

#7 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Well I'm about 1/2 way down the rabbit hole (should read money pit) I got the neximage that I upgraded to an ASI210 which makes a world of difference in its ease of use and abilities. I got the cgem to take better long exposure pics with the family's dslr. Picked up an auto guide kit which I haven't had time to play around with, and am seriously thinking about the hyperstar and that $1600 camera. Almost forgot the focal reducer, OIII and Ha filters, dovetail dedicated netbook. I could go on. And it all started with a stupid picture of the moon with my smart (should read :p stupid) phone!

But here's a picture of Saturn to pique your interest. Taken under abysmal seeing. :tonofbricks:

Attached Files

#8 Tyranthrax

Tyranthrax

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

thanks for posting that, I am realy new t this sort of thing and am only using a 6se with an orion SS Deep space imager, First one I took with it turned up like the attached. I compaired it to yours for detals, I don't think I was too far off the mark, I use a 90 so i am not 100% sure what way is "north" I am certain it is a combination of figuring out the best settings on the camera and the finishing touches in registax.

Attached Files

#9 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

At the moment, these are what's next on my list.

http://agenaastro.co...arlow-lens.html

http://agenaastro.co...ing-filter.html

http://agenaastro.co...screw-long.html

I'm currently content with my smartphone as far as taking pictures. Since my viewing sessions are pretty short, usually an hour or maybe 2, I'm not planning on investing on a high end camera anytime soon. Just need to fiddle with my phone more for better quality pics.

On another note, the gso barlow I'm planning on getting, is it about the same perfomance with a celestron xcel lx barlow? Thanks.

#10 Tyranthrax

Tyranthrax

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

it would work, I'm not going to say it won't I just didn't have much luck beyond what you did. When you use the cameras we are refering, even using the celestron $199 one (I didn't get it so some one else cantell you how it works for certain but the one I bought works this way,) you can even use a web cam to some degree of success. what it does is record some video, you then use the free registax and it clears out the bad pixels due to atmospheric conditions and other things that make it look like (as my wife calls them big floating tennis balls.) to the images we showed. you can adjust the gain to knock the wash out in the pics.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics