Binos and hyperion 24s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

I was thinking about getting the famed Pan 24s until I saw a whopping 15mm eye relief. sorry I can't do that. I have a fairly bad case of astigmatism and must wear my glasses.
so, in lieu of that fact I went looking for another source of EPs in 24mm length, wide fov, with 20mm of eye relief, in a 1.25" barrel. what I have come up with so far has been the Hyperions. These seem to be some interesting EPs. I am fairly sure someone has used these and wondered what their opinion of them was. and also if anybody new of some other premium EPs in the same configuration.

Thanks, Theo

ps by the way, the 12 nags work fine! I'll get back to that later today.

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

I use the 24s, but I don't think they are as sharp at the outside as they could be.

I have not owned the 24mm Panoptics, but I have owned both the ES 68s in 20mm and 16mm, and the 19mm and 22mm Pans, and I found both of them better at the edgoe of the field.

In my EdgeHD 8" the 24mm Hyperions are actually pretty decent, but again, not as sharp and the ESs.

If you need eye relief though, there really isn't a better alternative than the Hyperions I think

I believe Orion and Vixen have similar eyepeices to the Hyperion, but I doubt that the edge performance is any better.

And by the way. I own the 17mm and 13mm Hyperions and they do perform a bit better on the edges than the 24mm.

#3 chrisg

chrisg

Mariner 2

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

I've owned both the Pan 24 and the Vixen 22 LVW, unfortunely not both at the same time to do a side by side comparison. Either way, I can say the LVW has lots of eye relief and is sharp to the edge with my EON refractor.

#4 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

Ok, so my search was not in vain, and these are about the best (within reason) I can do in the configuration I want.
Thanks again Ed.

Theo

#5 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Well I ended up buying a previously owned (-: matched pair of Seibert 24s. We shall see what we got next time I get home!

Theo

#6 bcuddihee

bcuddihee

Vanguard

• Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

I hope you have good lick with the Seiberts. In my c8 they left a lot to be desired as far as edge correction. Let us know how they do in your scope.
bc

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics