•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

VX Mount - pier adapter, any interest?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MacDougal

MacDougal

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

I looked around and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information for any adapter plates for the VX mount. I thought about using something made for a CG5 but it doesn't really match the VX.

I have someone I am working with on making a pier top plate and adapter plate. I am thinking if he makes 10 sets of plates it will help lower the cost. these would be made out of aluminum and a minimum of 1/2 inch thick.

Let me know if you have any interest and I will check on pricing. :crazy:

#2 UnderDriven

UnderDriven

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Is this what you're referring to:

http://www.pierplate...ducts_8564.html

#3 zawijava

zawijava

Apollo

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Looks nice, but the price is nearly half as much as the entire AVX mount package :bigshock:

Is this what you're referring to:

http://www.pierplate...ducts_8564.html

#4 MacDougal

MacDougal

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yes that is what I am referring to however probably less than half that price...

#5 UnderDriven

UnderDriven

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

I agree that the cost is high relative to the cost of a VX mount. However, I would guess that the majority of people who put in a concrete pier have several thousand dollars invested in telescopes and mounts--for them it isn't an outrageous expense...

I'm currently designing a modular pier since I don't want to dig up the yard. I'll need a pier plate and adapter plate, but I haven't decided yet between a VX and a ZEQ25...

#6 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:02 AM

It's always puzzled me why pier adaptors are so complex. It could be done with a square of metal with a hole in the centre to take the mount, a tapped hole for the mounting post and four holes in the corners to take bolts that are cast into the pier. The mount holding bolt could be a simple bolt that goes through a bar that goes across the hole in the mount plate.

Chris

#7 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

Most who have a pier in a observatory are not going to use a AVX mount. Why. They are going to use something bigger at least a cgem. Dan pier plates makes them but the cost is outrageous.

#8 MacDougal

MacDougal

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

I know about Dan's pier plates. There are a whole lot of folks who are using CG5 and maybe VX mounts in the future with a pier for a variety of reasons, especially overseas. I have done enough Google searches to know this is true.

#9 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

You can make one out of wood. NBD.

Chris

#10 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

Here's a plywood pier plate and wedge.

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics