• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#26 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

I'm camping light and simple using a small tent, a few tarps, fold up camping chairs/table, and my Saturn sedan to lock up my optics when I'm moving around checking out the premium scopes and programs. Where is the best area to pitch my tent near my car? I'd like to set up the scope in my camp area. I'm not planning on cooking, but just eating canned foods to conserve water. (no dish washing)

#27 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

• Loc: Antelope, Oregon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

mtnmedic, R&D sandwich shop is even better than Luigi's IMO.

I'm planning on several solo star parties up at Howard Prairie this summer during the week when I'm off. Camping should be good into early October until the rain starts back up again.

Hoping to get out to OSP this summer, but if not I'll try for Brother's in early September.

R&D better than Luigi's? Hmmm...gotta try that. Would be interesting. I've always held that Luigi's is the best I'm a BIG fan of their Garbage Grinderj with pepperoncini, jalapeños, grilled onions, etc. Anyway, will look up R&D. Do they have the one location or do they have more? We plan on visiting my mother, who lives in upper East Evans Ck. up past Antioch Rd, this October.

Brothers...as in Brothers, OR...outside of Bend? If so, I wasn't even aware of that. Details?

We are definitelly planning on going to the OSP.

#28 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'm camping light and simple using a small tent, a few tarps, fold up camping chairs/table, and my Saturn sedan to lock up my optics when I'm moving around checking out the premium scopes and programs. Where is the best area to pitch my tent near my car? I'd like to set up the scope in my camp area. I'm not planning on cooking, but just eating canned foods to conserve water. (no dish washing)

We're hoping that we can learn more about the same kind of spot....set up my scope near the car...as we've never been there before. We're bringing freeze dried meals, as we'll have a way to boil water, and eat out of the pouches. Maybe a few cannned goods, too.

#29 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

mtnmedic, R&D sandwich shop is even better than Luigi's IMO.

I'm planning on several solo star parties up at Howard Prairie this summer during the week when I'm off. Camping should be good into early October until the rain starts back up again.

Hoping to get out to OSP this summer, but if not I'll try for Brother's in early September.

R&D better than Luigi's? Hmmm...gotta try that. Would be interesting. I've always held that Luigi's is the best I'm a BIG fan of their Garbage Grinderj with pepperoncini, jalapeños, grilled onions, etc. Anyway, will look up R&D. Do they have the one location or do they have more? We plan on visiting my mother, who lives in upper East Evans Ck. up past Antioch Rd, this October.

Brothers...as in Brothers, OR...outside of Bend? If so, I wasn't even aware of that. Details?

We are definitelly planning on going to the OSP.

R&D is on N. Riverside next door to the OK market and Advantage Appliance store.

I almost bought 8 acres up in that neck of the woods for $11k. I still kick myself for not jumping on it. Now I'm stuck in a West Medford barrio watching everyone else's property values going back up while mine keep falling with every nearby drug bust, stabbings and drive by shootings. :flame:

Yeah it's near Brothers, Oregon East of Bend. The original site up on Mt Bachelor was kinda dicey at best. This new site is supposed to be pretty good.
Brothers Star Party
The registration page isn't up yet.

Looks like you save $20 on early registration at OSP. That would pay for a couple of showers or hot meals.

#30 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

Why used canned? It just creates garbage. The cold food route is how I roll at star parties but I do a bit more cooking prep. I roast a chicken and some other small portion of meat then debone them and pack in the cooler. Add to that veggies, cheese and bread then I'm ready to go. I substitute energy drinks for coffee. Nothing to heat and nothing to wash. I just wipe things down with a wet paper towel.

My eating table has looked like this for the last couple of years. As might be noticed I even setup my sleeping roll in the back of the old Sonoma.

I've sold that old truck and now have a brand spankin' new Forester so the table will look different this year.

Bill

Attached Files

#31 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

I'm going with canned so I don't have to think about refrigeration. Those 5 day ice chests eventually melt the ice. I will keep some beer in the ice chest along with milk and caffeinated chilled beverages, but I'll mostly drink just ice water to maintain hydration.

Set the cans up on the dashboard and you'll have a hot meal while the sun shines. It will be warm even if it's a cloudy day.

Maybe next year I'll have fancier camping equipment like a pickup truck canopy or camper. Right now I have a '98 Saturn SL.

#32 Spaced

Spaced

Skylab

• Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Steve, in answer to your question on good locations for tent camping, look at the site map, here.

I prefer camping along the north tree line, roughly sections I/3 to O/3. Good sites can also be found in the woods in the NE sectors.

There are a couple of disadvantages to these areas. It's somewhat lower ground, so the southern view isn't as generous as in the main scope field and the imaging areas; however, I find the horizons quite adequate. Another disadvantage is that you'll want to set up for viewing a bit away from your camp, maybe 25 - 75 yd., depending. Also, it's a bit of a walk up to the main "concourse" where vendors, showers and programs are found.

OTOH, a guy can obtain shade in woods during the day and from the trees in the late afternoon and there is considerably less dust. And you won't be cheek-by-jowl with your neighbor. To me, these advantages rule. YMMV.

Sadly, it looks as though I probably won't be making it this year.

#33 Mr. AH

Mr. AH

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

We would like to remind all of you that registration for the Oregon Star Party (August 6 to August 11) is now open. Whether you’re a first-timer or a grizzled veteran, there is plenty to do and experience at this year’s star party. In attempt to bring clarity to the happenings the Oregon Star Party Committee is experimenting by publishing a newsletter (see link below). We hope that this newsletter will help you in planning your trip to Indian Trail Springs by providing you information on the various activities, services and events that will take place. A second goal of the newsletter is to provide news that may affect the star party. Finally, the newsletter will present information that hopefully will further your understanding of astronomy.

Hope you enjoy,

The Oregon Star Party Committee

Newsletter

P.S. The Dropbox viewer has a few glitches so you may have to download the filed.

#34 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:15 AM

The date seems to be zooming up on me. I am coming early so I only have about 13 days, I will be leaving the Seattle area on August 3. The scope needs a drive mounted to it, and I need to get started. Unpacked a few things from the last trip, got a new lawn chair and a new tent cot. I have gotten totally spoiled so I am making a pick up from Famous Daves BBQ on the way up.

#35 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Just curious...are there any cooking restrictions? For example, using a small propane burner you attach to the top of a small propane bottle or a small Coleman stove, etc.?

The big thing we want to do is heat the water for hot drinks and freeze-dried meals. I thought perhaps just finding some kind of container and setting it atop the car or somewhere in the sun all day ought to do it.

Thoughts?

#36 hbanich

hbanich

Apollo

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Just curious...are there any cooking restrictions? For example, using a small propane burner you attach to the top of a small propane bottle or a small Coleman stove, etc.?

The big thing we want to do is heat the water for hot drinks and freeze-dried meals. I thought perhaps just finding some kind of container and setting it atop the car or somewhere in the sun all day ought to do it.

Thoughts?

That should be no problem, here's info from the OSP website (http://www.oregonsta...estService.aspx):

- No open fires are allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Charcoal Briquettes are not allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Only propane or white gas stoves are permitted as long as they are off the ground and not a danger to the surrounding area.

#37 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

Too broke to travel to OSP this year. Went to the Oregon Country Fair instead. Brother's Star party is going to be my fall back position as I still have the time to scratch up the funds for that one. Maybe next year...

#38 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Too broke to travel to OSP this year. Went to the Oregon Country Fair instead. Brother's Star party is going to be my fall back position as I still have the time to scratch up the funds for that one. Maybe next year...

That's a bummer. We were looking forward to meeting you.

Brothers Star Party looks interesting and may be something we also check out next year as well. I've been through that area numerous times on my travels between Burns and Bend several years ago. I always thought it might make a nice area to pull over and do a little observing one night.

#39 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Thoughts?

That should be no problem, here's info from the OSP website (http://www.oregonsta...estService.aspx):

- No open fires are allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Charcoal Briquettes are not allowed anywhere on site at OSP.
- Only propane or white gas stoves are permitted as long as they are off the ground and not a danger to the surrounding area.

Okay, that's what I thought. I remember reading those guidelines at the OSP website. I just wasn't sure if there was anything else I hadn't learned about.

So, that would also rule out canned sterno gel fuel heaters used in a sterno cook "stove" (it's a folding metal contraption that houses the sterno can that you set the cooking utensil atop of)? I ask because I always keep a couple of cans for heating/cooking in a pinch in my camping kit.

Also just thinking of simply getting some water in a container and setting in or on top of the car or some other sun-exposed location to heat it up so we can use it later instead of having to find some way to boil it later on. Maybe someone will have tips on doing something like this.

#40 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Moderators
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest USA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

I am virtually certain that stereo would be out... Especially considering the elevating fire risk. OSP has always been pretty strict about tat sort of stuff to conform to USFS rules.

#41 Mr. AH

Mr. AH

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

The next issue of the Oregon Star Party News will be coming out on Tuesday. It will include Rules and Guidelines for OSP. Also, in addition to the Star Dinners Jason will be serving the following:

Breakfast
- Omelets with mushrooms, peppers, onions cheese and bacon $6.00
- Hash browns $3.00
- Pancakes $4.00
- Muffins $2.00

Lunch

- Yakisoba noodles with veggies and grilled chicken $7.00
- Grilled hamburgers with caramelized onions, lettuce tomatoes and condiments $5.00
- Rueben sandwiches $6.00
- Potato salad and macaroni salad $3.00
- Hot dogs with condiments $3.00
- Chocolate chip cookies $2.00

Other daily specials to be offered as well.

Late night food will include hamburgers and noodle dishes, etc.

Also, ice will be delivered daily at noon.

P.S. No sterno allowed

#42 bbbriggs

bbbriggs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Graham WA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

I will be bringing my 18" with the roller coaster wheels for the 6th time to OSP. My generous brother is cutting me some custom gears for a drive system. I hope to have everything in time for OSP but more than likely I will be doing some of the work in the field during the day at OSP.

Attached Files

#43 mtnmedic

mtnmedic

Late for dinner

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Question...can anyone here who has been to the OSP in the past tell me what cell phone reception is like there? Especially regarding AT&T? I have an iPhone 4S that is on Straight Talk (uses AT&T and Cingular towers) and an iPad 3 (AT&T 3G/4G/LTE).

#44 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

It's pretty remote, even from Bend, I'd be surprised if there was cell service, but you never know...

Hopefully there aren't a bunch of smokey wild fires burning that would severely impact the OSP.

Right now it's real bad in SW Oregon.

#45 BradleyB

BradleyB

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

I have an AT&T phone and last year I only got reception over at the far end of the field to the south of the shower trailer. It was consistent, I got through whenever I tried.

Brad

#46 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Moderators

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Verizon is best at the field, the rest all seem to require precise geographic positioning on the field to get reception.

#47 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Moderators

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

I will be bringing my 18" with the roller coaster wheels for the 6th time to OSP. My generous brother is cutting me some custom gears for a drive system. I hope to have everything in time for OSP but more than likely I will be doing some of the work in the field during the day at OSP.

Been there done that (trimmed my truss poles at GSSP a month ago!) I seem to always get behind just before big star parties and have to finish at the field! Looking around I am envious of those who are more prepared...but I do get better each year. I just tell myself those prepared folks were just like me a few years ago... :shrug: :foreheadslap: :D

#48 Mr. AH

Mr. AH

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hello all:

It's one week to the Oregon Star Party and we are almost set to migrate over to Indian Trail Spring. Shirts will be picked up on Thursday and the trailer will be packed on Friday.

Many will make the trip early, going up before or on the weekend, others like myself have commitments and will be coming up next week. That doesn't worry me because we have 40 acres over which to spread out.

The longer term weather report for Indian Trail Spring looks promising. High temperatures should be in the mid-80s to low-90s; lows should be in the mid-40s. Skies during the day should be partly cloudy and nights should be mostly clear. Friday, August 9th has is a 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms. Note: if you plan on going up before the party, there is a chance for isolated thunderstorms on Thursday August 1st and Saturday August 3rd.

The Ochoco National Forest reports that as of today, Fire Danger is HIGH. This means that U.S. Forest Service approved generators are allowed at this time, although conditions can change at a moment's notice. We also want to stress to participants to exercise extreme caution with the use of fire (smoking, cooking, etc.).

The attached file contains the second issue of the Oregon Star Party News: we hope you enjoy reading our news. Some highlights of the newsletter include Rules and Guidelines of the star party, Ochoco Mountains Geology and Ecology, and descriptions of some of the activities which will take place during this year's event.

Finally, we want to wish everyone safe travels and clear skies.

Sincerely,

The Oregon Star Party Committee

Oregon Star Party News Issue 2

P.S. You may need to download the file to view all content.

#49 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

Do OSP volunteers still pay the full registration fee?

#50 Mr. AH

Mr. AH

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

Yes they do. However they do get Caldwell Bucks for discounts for food and espresso.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics