• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Hi all,

Just a quick question for CGE-Pro users. How tight do you keep the RA and DEC tightening knobs...as tight as possible, or less? I keep mine as tight as possible, but want to find out if less is more.

Thanks!!
Paul

#2 end

end

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Do you mean the clutch knobs? If so, I just hand tighten them. As long as you aren't slipping it should be fine. I've never had any difficulty.

#3 jarin

jarin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern VA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

When I had my CGE-Pro I would use a socket that fit them to tighten them, as it was easier to reach that way. I definitely would not crank them that tight, you'll warp the worm wheel would be my guess. Just tight enough so you have no slippage.

Jeff

#4 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

As a general policy I wouldn't tighten clutches any more than they need to hold the normal load reliably. I'd rather a clutch slipped if the scope had some unexpected load on it than something got damaged.

Chris

#5 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

You won't warp the worm wheel by over tightening, but you can possibly distort the head and definitely damage the clutches. I recently worked on a CGE Pro where I had to replace the nylon tips of all the clutch knobs because they had all been smashed down to nothing and metal was starting to gouge into the clutch surface. Don't do that.

Clutches need to be tight enough to keep the mount from moving with a slight push, but loose enough that a good bump will allow the axis to slip. This is a safety feature in case the axis gets jammed by running into something. Unfortunately, the clutch knobs on the CGE Pro can be difficult to even hand tighten so ADM makes a tool for that. You just have to be careful to not use it to overtighten the knobs.

BTW, do not use the clutches to make up for very poor balance. That's never a good idea and will lead eventually to damage to the clutches and possibly to the motor/gear train.

#6 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. By following these suggestions and just tightening enough to hold, it seems the RA vibration in the mount all but disappeared. I am grateful for the help.

Thanks again.
Paul

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics