Would I be insane going C14??

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

• Loc: Aurora Colorado

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Someone talk some rational sense into my head here. I may have an option to snag a C14 OTA in a deal. I'd have to throw my entire immediate budget into a mount to support it, because I don't think a CGEM DX is gonna cut it LOL. Options? $5K buys a new CGE Pro, or a used AP mount. What else is in that price bracket that could legitimately handle a C14 for guided Hyperstar imaging? If I do this, I'll have to piece meal the remaining components in as I go since I'm supposed to be focusing funds on the new house...

Houses... what a stupid priority... LOL
:lol:

#2 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

were you thinkin AP1200?

#3 Peds

Peds

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Brasília, Brazil

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

I'll make things even worse: I'd add a ASI120MM camera or equivalent in there since the C14 is also a helluva planetary scope!

P.

#4 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Can they build a "Roll-off Roof House", you could save money that way by not building a seperate Observ. :wron:

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

Can they build a "Roll-off Roof House", you could save money that way by not building a seperate Observ. :wron:

Sure, why not? ;)

To answer the question about mounts, my NJP carried the C14 very well for work at 3900mm.

Attached Files

#6 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

I would look at the Losmandy Titan, MI-250, or NJP for ~$5k...
if it were me, I would just save for the AP1200/1600..or possibly an ME....but I am horrible at saving lol

Good luck with the new equipment and house/location!

#7 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:02 AM

:lol:

#8 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

This is a tough one.. A C14 is such a beast. I have a couple days to chew on this thought. I'm clearly giving up any portability with a C14, where I could have some reasonable portability with a C9.25 or C11 setup. Well, I'll let everyone know where this lands in a few more days.

#9 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

Josh - all depends what you want to do with it, I don't think it sounds crazy at all. If you are going to make a ROR at your new digs it might be ideal for the resident scope, open up new horizons in image scale and resolution. I'd add one of Ed Thomas' Temp-est cooling kits from Deep Space Products to deal with any temperature concerns. It could have the side effect of making you want to look through the scope more than image? ;)

#10 SGT500

SGT500

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sarasota, Florida

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

C14!!!! nuff said :cool:

#11 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

LOL I suppose I should've seen this coming. Asking if a C14 is a good idea or not on CN is like going into a Chevy dealer and asking if the Corvette is a good car to go with. Corvettes aren't for everyone, but they'll sure try to sell you one!
:gve:

Jim, I seriously thought about that. I might honestly enjoy the visual through the C14 as much as I would imaging. The statement about temp considerations is what has me thinking. The location(s) I'll be living in have wild temp swings at night like I face here in NM - perks of no atmosphere.. It's going to be hard to equalize a C14 I think. It might be hard to even equalize a C11.

Man... I'm going to get deep stuff with the CFO when/if I tell her I'm bringing home a C14, and oh, btw, the forecasted total spend on this project just went up by, oh, say tripple what I planned! I guess I better plan on a "warm room" attached to that ROR with room for a comfy couch...

#12 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

Man... I'm going to get deep stuff with the CFO when/if I tell her I'm bringing home a C14, and oh, btw, the forecasted total spend on this project just went up by, oh, say tripple what I planned! I guess I better plan on a "warm room" attached to that ROR with room for a comfy couch...

Clearly an optimist... A pessimist would have said living out the back of their car. :p

#13 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

I'm trying to plan ahead to manage the gloom and doom as best as possible here. Hell hath no fury like a C14 shown to a wife who doesn't care for Astronomy. Just sayin'.

:grin:

#14 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'd rather see you buy an expensive mount on a whim then an expensive OTA. Any way you look at it, the C14 is a bill for $5k plus. And if you don't spend the additional on a mount, you're not using the C14.

There are some good deals on AP900's, but they are still budget busters.

#15 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Oh we're definitely in the same thought process right now. But, the deal I might be working out does not involve $5K for the C14, but rather an exchange. So, essentially the budget so to speak will be unscathed by OTA. If I did pick up a C14, it's going to be a little bit before you guys see me catching photons again because I would want to build this the right way. Unless I got a super steal on a used mount, I think $5K for an initial spend is going to cut it short. May just have to sock that away temporarily and look at a more substantial investment a few months down the road. But, a C14 for pennies on the dollar or essentially free may be far too good to just pass up.

For me it boils down to 1) How fast do I "need" to be up and running? 2) Do I ever need it to be portable? I can tell you a C14 is going to get put down ONE time by me, and not move unless I relocate again.

LOL I just found this very inspiring image. Great eye candy. Sort of disturbing, yet, awesome at the same time.

LOADED DOWN

#16 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

I'm trying to plan ahead to manage the gloom and doom as best as possible here. Hell hath no fury like a C14 shown to a wife who doesn't care for Astronomy. Just sayin'.

The day I got a new OTA I distracted the wife with some Jewelry

#17 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

HAHA. I've tried that solution too. Problem is to distract mine, the value of said jewelry is directly proportionate to the amount I spend on toys. This jewelry might become prohibitively expensive. So instead this time I'm hoping to use the "here's a new house to decorate!" approach. Not that it's significantly cheaper, but that was already budgeted for and may keep her busy for a while.

#18 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

I am soooooo digging myself a really big hole right now, aren't I...

#19 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

...And you guys are seriously terrible, terrible enablers... Love you guys! But you're gonna get me killed, you realize that, right?

:tonofbricks:

#20 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Well, with a swap of existing equipment for the C-14 (assuming the C-14 isn't a pile of junk), there really isn't an initial cost and it would be very hard to pass up a deal like that. With my wife, I could explain it, and she would tell me to go for it. However, it sounds like yours might not be so understanding.

As for getting killed, is she strong enough to drop that OTA on you?

#21 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Remember to schedule delivery when she is at work. Boxesto go into storage and desguised as home appliance boxes before she gets home. My wife never comes to the obsy. So once in Im safe

#22 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

The day I got a new OTA I distracted the wife with some Jewelry

For me it was shoes and handbags.

#23 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Well, with a swap of existing equipment for the C-14 (assuming the C-14 isn't a pile of junk), there really isn't an initial cost and it would be very hard to pass up a deal like that. With my wife, I could explain it, and she would tell me to go for it. However, it sounds like yours might not be so understanding.

As for getting killed, is she strong enough to drop that OTA on you?

She's strong enough to feed me that OTA probably LOL.

I'm hoping the OTA is not a pile of junk but won't know for certain until Friday. The swap is one thing - I can justify that all day long... It's the massive expenses that will be trailing that OTA that might be the undoing - i.e. a heavier mount, plus all the other bits I still need to replace like my autoguider package, and misc hardware.

#24 michael hester

michael hester

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

The real question is do you want to work at 3800mm focal length? That's galaxy and planetary nebula hunting territory with planets thrown in so if that's your target then your C14 will do it.

#25 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

A carefully timed, strategically planned, significant domestic purchase might help smooth things over with the CFO. Just consider it part of the overhead. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics