• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#26 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

I noticed the 3 volumes of Burnham's Celestial Handbook on the show too, in the bookcase, don't remember if it's always there.

#27 JoeR

JoeR

Apollo

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Do ANY of you guys even notice...Kaley Cuoco!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm more of a Bernadette man myself.

#28 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Not to mention she was viewing the ISS which would have flown past the scope's FOV in a split second.

I missed it last night. Is that true, she was looking at the ISS? :foreheadslap:

#29 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Not to mention she was viewing the ISS which would have flown past the scope's FOV in a split second.

I missed it last night. Is that true, she was looking at the ISS? :foreheadslap:

There was a brief mention that it was to pass through the fov while looking at Venus. She had no reaction to suggest she saw anything at all. A real opportunity to have some real astronomy was totally blown.

#30 MarkShay

MarkShay

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

Pssst, its a comedy, not the Discovery channel

#31 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

Kaley has really short legs which is fine but they go out of their way to frame shots to hide it. Also they dress her to hide it. She's pretty but I like long legs. :)

#32 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

If you look at the three foxy ladies on the show, they all have short legs. Personally (being vertically challenged myself) I find it totally attractive...different strokes for different folks. :roflmao:

Kaley has really short legs which is fine but they go out of their way to frame shots to hide it. Also they dress her to hide it. She's pretty but I like long legs. :)

#33 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

EVERY SINGLE SHOW..... :jump: :jump: :jump:

heheheh

Do ANY of you guys even notice...Kaley Cuoco!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :john:

Ah no, my heart beats for Olivia [Wilde].

#34 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

My original Super Polaris C6 had short legs, but I totally thought she was beautiful....just like Kaley!!!

#35 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

Here's a show with serious, nerdy SCT usage.

http://vimeo.com/66698455

Sorry for the handheld cellphone quality.

#36 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

T.R.
Kaley & Melissa are OK but Aarti Mmmmmm yummy.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#37 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

On one episode Raj, Howard and Lenord took the SCT to a park (I guess to look at the stars BEFORE the meteor shower), while Penny remains home, slips in the shower and Sheldon has to take her to the hospital. One of the funniest episodes in my opinion.

I saw that episode. So the three men went to look at a shower while Penny remains home and slips in the shower. Sheldon, who is virtually asexual, saves her. Is there something Freudian - or Jungian? - going on here? Yes, probably!

:grin:
Mike

#38 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Perhaps we could approach them for a job as their "technical accuracy advisors". J.J. Abrams did go pick up Carolyn Porco to advise him about the last Star Trek movie and the accuracy around Titan/Saturn. I figure we're qualified enough to advise Big Bang Theory on how to properly utilize a telescope.

J.J. Abrams should have picked up an optical expert to prevent all the glare and flares in his Star Trek movies. I can't stand to see it! That should make anyone who wants aberration-free optics cringe.

Don't you think in the next few hundred years they would have solved the problem of glare within spaceships capable of intersteller travel? Very distracting and a horrible "special effect." I don't think anyone has to have Asperger's to be irritated by all the glare and flares - but if you have Asperger's, the "flare effect" is likely to be even more irritating. :crazy: I know it ruins the movies for me. It's as if "Flare" is an additional character in the movie, who is overbearing, pushy, and loves to steal every scene he's in. And he is in way too many scenes.

I hope if there are additional movies in the Star Trek franchise, they find someone else besides Abrams to do them. :p

Mike

#39 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

I saw that episode. So the three men went to look at a shower while Penny remains home and slips in the shower. Sheldon, who is virtually asexual,

Sheldon has a girlfriend this year. Raj thinks she is pretty hot. :lol:

#40 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

I've only discovered BBT within the last couple months. I normally avoid network series like the plague, though obviously once in a while they do something right. Now I'm catching up by watching reruns, so my understanding of the timeline is a work in progress.

The way I understood it Sheldon had an on-going "relationship" with Amy Farrah Fowler played by Mayim Bialik from the 90's "Blossom" series. Hot? Well, maybe to me, but to the Raj character? I don't know. :thinking:

There was also one episode in which an attractive girl had a crush on Sheldon. She was like a theoretical physics groupie. This became stalking and controlling. Remember the movie, "Misery?" But Sheldon got out of that relationship ASAP.

Maybe I should tune into the new episodes.

Mike

#41 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Episode last night, Raj says of Sheldon's girlfriend: "Now that I am sure she doesn't want me...I think she _is_ pretty hot!" :lol:

#42 katie

katie

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Maryland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

J.J. Abrams should have picked up an optical expert to prevent all the glare and flares in his Star Trek movies. I can't stand to see it!

Agree...enough with the flares!

Now, here is the interesting part of the flare deal. I saw a clip (behind-the-scenes type) while they were shooting one of the bridge scenes. They had a guy with a large flashlight looking device shining it into the camera while moving and tracking. Flares were purposely put in.

I suppose the guy with the flashlight had a flare for that sort of thing. (yeah, bad pun, could not help myself) :lol:

#43 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Episode last night, Raj says of Sheldon's girlfriend: "Now that I am sure she doesn't want me...I think she _is_ pretty hot!" :lol:

At least Sheldon can speak to her without having to drink alcohol ... though I'm sure chit-chat is impossible.

Mike

#44 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

J.J. Abrams should have picked up an optical expert to prevent all the glare and flares in his Star Trek movies. I can't stand to see it!

Agree...enough with the flares!

Now, here is the interesting part of the flare deal. I saw a clip (behind-the-scenes type) while they were shooting one of the bridge scenes. They had a guy with a large flashlight looking device shining it into the camera while moving and tracking. Flares were purposely put in.

I suppose the guy with the flashlight had a flare for that sort of thing. (yeah, bad pun, could not help myself) :lol:

Flares in Star Trek movies: stupid, amateurish-looking, anachronistic. Please, no more. Fire Abrams ... or his optical effects expert! Ya basta!

Mike

#45 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

I kinda like the flares in Star Trek, somehow made it look retro.

Tony

#46 katie

katie

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Maryland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Flares in Star Trek movies: stupid, amateurish-looking, anachronistic. Please, no more. Fire Abrams ... or his optical effects expert! Ya basta!
Mike

Mike. You really need to stop holding things in. You should speak your mind. Let it out - else it will just churn inside. As we say in Maryland, it will make ya feel better...hon.
:roflmao:

#47 Sunspot

Sunspot

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

I remember that episode. Riki Lindhome played the physics groupie, Ramona Nowitzki. Definitely a hot gal. She is in a singing group called Garfunkle and Oates with Kate Mucucci who, by the way played Raj's neurotic girlfriend, Lucy, in the last couple of episodes.

Paul

"There was also one episode in which an attractive girl had a crush on Sheldon. She was like a theoretical physics groupie. This became stalking and controlling. Remember the movie, "Misery?" But Sheldon got out of that relationship ASAP.

Maybe I should tune into the new episodes.

Mike [/quote]"

#48 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

I kinda like the flares in Star Trek, somehow made it look retro.

Tony

Retro and anachronistic, like Steam Punk? Yeah, that concept doesn't make any sense either. Maybe Abrams should have filled the bridge of the Enterprise with steam instead of flares.

Mike

#49 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Mike

Mike. You really need to stop holding things in. You should speak your mind. Let it out - else it will just churn inside. As we say in Maryland, it will make ya feel better...hon.
:roflmao:

Yes, I should stop holding it all in. We also say in Maryland, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute. It'll change." I think of emotions like the weather. Wait a minute, it'll change.

Mike

#50 Erskin71

Erskin71

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

A co-worker who watches BBT asked me about the scene with Raj and his..girlfriend I guess she was/ is who knows. "Can you really see the space station in a telescope? Have you ever seen it?" At least it gave me the chance to talk astronomy for a while at work.

"Well first let me tell you what was wrong with that scene." :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics