Photo

Binoviewer for Celestron CR-150-HD6" Refractor ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hello to all.I Just had my,new to me,CR-150-HD6"f/8 Refractor out for first light, last night. I was amazed at what I was able to view with it. If the clouds had not moved in at 2am , I would have pulled an all nighter.
I had tried to use my Celestron bino viewer in the scope and found there was not enough in travel with any of my eyepiece pairs. Would this be a problem with any bino viewer?
I was very disappointed that I would not be able to view with both eyes as I have gotten used to it with my SCT's. I am hoping to find a solution to this predicament without having to spend a bundle on it? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
I had the bino viewer setup with the 2" diagonal in place with the 1 1/4" redusing bushing in. The skies are not going to be cooperative for the next 5 nights or so ,so I thought I would see what ya all have to say about the subject. I was just thinking about something. Would the bino viewer work if I used my 1 1/4" diagonal on the scope instead of the 2" diagonal? Not enough in travel is the problem as I stated. Please, Help.

#2 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

The binoviewer should work with a 1.25" Diaganol.

A Prism diagonal will work really well. I have the Baader T2 Prism.

#3 SteveSMS

SteveSMS

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jersey Shore USA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hi Tim,

If you have a Barlow try putting the binoviewer into it and then into the diagonal. You will most likely have a magnification of 3X to 4X but it should focus. I think you will be able to find a 1.9X OCA for your BV for under $50. You might want to contact Harry at Siebert Optics, he has many different solutions for binoviewers and he stands behind his products. I'm not positive but I don't think a standard 1.25" diagonal will give you the in-focus that you need.

Clear Skies,

Steve

#4 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Tim, I have the same scope, purchased used here on CN. The previous owner had shortened the tube. With a Wyorock focuser installed I can use any set up I want and everything reaches focus. It was dumb luck but I'll take it. I can post the numbers if you are interested.

I should add that to use the scope in mono requires one extension tube!!!

Attached Files

#5 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

The 1.25" diagonal will give you around an extra 1" in-focus.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics