• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

I set out my telescope after the weatherman reported it would be cloudy with showers all day and night. Luckily it was a pretty clear evening some high clouds and windy. At twilight I set my sights on our beautiful Moon. Once in focus my attention was drawn to three wonderfully detailed craters. Theophilus, Cyrillus, and Catharina. I grabbed my black paper and started sketching. I kept seeing more and more detail in each one of the craters and around the area. I stayed with a 11mm plossl for my entire drawing. The Sun was casting such lovely shadows, I only wish I could have captured more of the detail. I still felt I captured some of the beauty of what I saw.

The night before I had some time to view Jupiter and Saturn. Jupiter was very low and not showing well. Saturn however was showing some very nice detail. After reading some of David Gray's posts I decided to try my own apodizer. I used a splatter screen and set it at various angles in front of my reflector. Much to my amazement I saw more detailed bands. I worked with magnifications of 167X to about 320X. I didn't get a chance to try any filters but did use the apodizer at different angles.

Clear Skies

Ken

Attached Files

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

Saturn 5-15-2013

Attached Files

#3 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

Ken

i really like the moon sketch, the grain of the paper works well with the texture of the moon, also the central peaks in bright white with the black shadows are striking.

The apodizer sounds interesting, I might have to try one, if I ever get back outside!

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

Ken,

Very good sketches of the Moon & Saturn :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#5 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

Chris and Tom,
Thanks for your kind words.

Chris,
The apodizer is very interesting. David Gray had some information about it in the Planetary forum on Cassini's division. I really had fun with trying it out and I am not a seasoned planetary observer, but working my way through. Hope you get some clear skies.

Ken

#6 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Fine moonsketch! Makes me want to go out and sketch myself... but the weather isn't cooperating the last days :shrug:

#7 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Jef,
After reading your post here on sketching I picked up some of the gray pastel's you had recommended. It sure helped with some of the shading. Still need to work on my technique, but enjoying it.

Hope your weather improves.

Ken

#8 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

Just lovely sketches, Ken! Especially the one of the moon is a real beauty. The somewhat brownish hues make it look even more realistic. Very well done!

Peter

#9 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

• Loc: Nr. Scotland.

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Nice work Ken - and you're one up on me now: I have yet to do a serious lunar sketch - must address that!

David.

#10 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Thank you David and Peter,

There is so much to see on the Moon. I am sometimes overwhelmed by what to capture.

Ken

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics