ZWO ASI120MC CCD Camera

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 DonDon

DonDon

Sputnik

• Loc: Gig Harbor, Washington

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hi DonDon. Unfortunately, all the images of nebulae on my website I captured by the DSLR Nikon D90. Do you have any cooling for your ASI?

No, I don't, I didn't know about something like that. Does this mean I need more equipment? I'll check the web for something, but if you by chance know of something I could use Id appreciate a link. Dang, just so much to learn, lol. The wife has a Nikon D5200 but my focuser wouldn't hold it, it barely holds a powermate and ZWO.. :confused:

#52 rkayakr

rkayakr

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

DonDon
Firecap lets you take a dark frame and subtract it from the light frames. Even with that I haven't been happy with anything past about 10 seconds exposure with the ASI120mc. You might target brighter objects like globular clusters, those seem to turn out OK with shorter exposures.
You might also try those small, round gel freezer packs that they sell for kids lunch boxes. One of those rubber banded to the back of the camera might help. You might want to get a clear 1 1/4 filter to screw into the nose to help keep condensation off the sensor. A filter is not a bad idea anyway, just to keep the sensor clean. If you go with the freezer pack, I would use the one with the cookie monster face purely for aesthetic reasons :)

#53 DonDon

DonDon

Sputnik

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

DonDon
Firecap lets you take a dark frame and subtract it from the light frames. Even with that I haven't been happy with anything past about 10 seconds exposure with the ASI120mc. You might target brighter objects like globular clusters, those seem to turn out OK with shorter exposures.
You might also try those small, round gel freezer packs that they sell for kids lunch boxes. One of those rubber banded to the back of the camera might help. You might want to get a clear 1 1/4 filter to screw into the nose to help keep condensation off the sensor. A filter is not a bad idea anyway, just to keep the sensor clean. If you go with the freezer pack, I would use the one with the cookie monster face purely for aesthetic reasons :)

ROFL!! I just happen to have a couple of those under my bed, AH HAAA, :) Don't tell no one K.. Heck I had no clue you could even do something like that, I may try it. Last night I took a 50 frame of the dumbbell, then 50 dark's, capped the scope and all, but the stacking programs don't seem to recognize em..?? Got me. Keep on trying I guess, of course the moon didn't help much either. As for firecap, I can't even get the target on the screen without bumping up the exposure. Dark's didn't seem to work with that either. Live & learn, guess that's part of the whole process.  Cookie monster rocks!!! :)

#54 tbone0168

tbone0168

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

Those are great shots!......I have an Astro-Tech 6RC, TeleVue 3x barlow, and the ZWO ASI120MC.....Would all of you who posted those great images post an image of your imaging trane/imaging set-up?

Terrance

Edited by tbone0168, 09 September 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#55 DonDon

DonDon

Sputnik

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

Another sharpcap question, for two nights in a row now I've used the 150 degree lens for an all sky type session, I take thousands of frames, but when I open them in WMV all it shows is 67 frames. I'm out there for hours yet I end up with 1 1/2 minute vids of the sky, anybody have any clue as to what's going on?? I have the (unlimited) box checked before I start, confused..?? Thanks.. :confused: :confused: :confused:

#56 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:55 AM

ASI120 is a CMOS imager, not CCD based.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Edited by ccs_hello, 17 September 2014 - 10:52 PM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics