• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Just thought Id mention a reminder that might help some folks-

If you are going to be at the beach all day or outside in the bright sun wear sunglasses and none too small that'll affect peripheral. As you know that kind of over exposure in daylight can hamper nighttime skotopic vision. Of course in the winter snow would do the same - just throwing it out there.

Pete

#2 DJCalma

DJCalma

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reminder! Keeping your eyes away from bright light is sure a lot cheaper than getting a bigger scope, but it actually has the same effect. :waytogo:

#3 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

For the long term, it's a good idea to wear decent sunglasses or clipons everytime you go outside. It will help prevent your eye lens from yellowing with age, protect your retina and help retain wide iris dilation.

Mike

#4 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

When I am outside, especially for an extended period of time, I use a pair of wrap around glasses.

#5 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

I need to wear prescription eyeglasses for both myopia and presbyopia, so I'm limited as to the sunglasses or clipons I can use. Many newer styles of eyeglasses don't even have clipons made for them anymore.

The magnetic clipon sunglasses are the best option for those who must wear glasses - if you can find them to fit yours. I wouldn't worry about if the sunglasses are wrap-around or not as long as they are not the ultra-narrow type and you wear them pushed close to your face. I don't understand why some folks insist on wearing their glasses half-way down their nose.

Mike

#6 deepskydarrell

deepskydarrell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Abbotsford, BC Canada

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Any recommendations on optical quality sunglasses? I hate looking through glasses that aren't sharp.(and I don't mean fashion) We know where to get fine optical quality eyepieces but but if you pay more for sunglasses do you get 'style'? Or some guy's fashion name brand on it? Or do you get optical quality?

DSD.

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

Probably a good place to start is the same place you would get regular eyeglasses - your optometrist. But I've never had prescription sunglasses, which I would need to wear. I always thought it was overkill - and too expensive - to have two sets of glasses, one for day and one for night or inside. When I get my eyes checked and order eyeglasses, I always ask for ones that are compatible with magnetic clip-on sunglasses. I buy them at the same time.

Unfortunately, I believe these clip-ons have gone "out of style" and I might have to purchase separate prescription sunglasses next time. Style and fashion can be really, really stupid - and expensive. :ohgeeze:

Mike

#8 Red Shift

Red Shift

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Just thought Id mention a reminder that might help some folks-

If you are going to be at the beach all day or outside in the bright sun wear sunglasses and none too small that'll affect peripheral. As you know that kind of over exposure in daylight can hamper nighttime skotopic vision. Of course in the winter snow would do the same - just throwing it out there.

Pete

Transmit the message, to the receiver,
Hope for an answer some day
I got three passports, a couple of visas,
You don't even know my real name
High on a hillside, the trucks are loading,
Everything's ready to roll
I sleep in the daytime, I work in the nighttime,
I might not ever get home

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
This ain't no fooling around
This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B.
I ain't got time for that now.....

#9 Ed D

Ed D

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

I use green tint industrial grade protective glasses that shield the sides and block out the nasty stuff. They're not exactly 'chick magnets', but at my age who cares.

Such is life in 'Sunny South Florida'. :cool:

Ed D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics