• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 JohnR66

JohnR66

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SW OH

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

I have the Pentax UCF-M 8x21 compacts. They produce a fine image, but a bit dark in the evenings. I'd go for the lower magnification for wider view and a bit more exit pupil in a compact. Sadly, more manufactures are producing 10x compacts with EPs as small as 2mm. I'm glad Pentax offers the Papilios in 6.5x. Close focusing is a plus.

#27 Albie

Albie

Aurora

• Loc: Alberta,Canada

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

Close focusing is a plus.

I would say it's the main attraction.
A good friend of mine and his wife spent a good deal of time studying each others face with my 6.5x21 papilio's.There was a lot of giggling and "oh my god" going on.

#28 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

If they were mounted on a beaker stand, they would make a handy stereo microscope for dissecting or small assembly work.

#29 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

an old copy stand from film days, or even the column from a small enlarger with enlarging head removed, might be handy for using Papilios as stereo microscope -- mount binos at a safe distance to avoid bumping head into elevating column.

#30 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Been in the binocular/telescope astro "hobby" for more than 30 years. During this time I have never laid eyes on a Papillo. I do have a very nice 8x42 roofie that has a close focus of 5 1/2 ft. I like doing astronomy with these binos AND watching butterflies and other insects at a close distance of about 6 ft. Other than compact size and weight for hiking (which I do not do)what would be the distinct advantage of the Papillo?

#31 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Been in the binocular/telescope astro "hobby" for more than 30 years. During this time I have never laid eyes on a Papillo. I do have a very nice 8x42 roofie that has a close focus of 5 1/2 ft. I like doing astronomy with these binos AND watching butterflies and other insects at a close distance of about 6 ft. Other than compact size and weight for hiking (which I do not do)what would be the distinct advantage of the Papillo?

4 1/2 feet...

#32 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

Apologies, I forgot I had an 8x25 roofie that weighs about 12 oz. and focuses at 5 ft. Just dug it out of the kitchen cabinet. Not putting down the Papillios, in fact if I come across a 6.5x used one I would be sorely tempted if the price was right.

#33 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

The difference between a normal binocular that focuses at 5' and a Papilio that focuses at 1.5' with perfectly collimated and overlapping fields is stunning.

You can see individual pollen grains on individual hairs on a bee's body, for instance, with the Papilio.

I got lucky and was able to watch a fresh, new, Cicada Killer solitary wasp emerge from her burrow the other day. I raced to get a chair so I could sit and watch the event with my Papilios. She preened herself while waiting for the strength to come to her wings. The plentiful paper wasps scouring the area kept coming into contact with her to investigate; they didn't seem to have any animosity towards her. After each time one touched her to investigate, she would meticulously clean her body of dust (or whatever she felt was "soiling" her) with her legs from head down towards the tip of her abdomen. The iridescence of her amber colored wings and eyes was just beautiful! I could see the freshly minted yellow stripes on her abdomen and the fine hairs on her body and legs clearly. She was absolutely perfect! After about half an hour of slowly walking around a small area near her just abandoned burrow, she gathered her strength and flew off to start a new life.

It was a beautiful experience and the Papilios made it possible! The value of a "macro binocular" cannot be underestimated for close up nature study. Best $115. I ever spent.

Just one "for instance" out of many I've had with my Papilios! :D

Rich

#34 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Kansas

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

The difference between a normal binocular that focuses at 5' and a Papilio that focuses at 1.5' with perfectly collimated and overlapping fields is stunning..............

....................The value of a "macro binocular" cannot be underestimated for close up nature study. Best $115. I ever spent.. ...........

Rich

I can hardly wait! Mine should deliver tomorrow! Might even come today!!!!!

#35 Robert A.

Robert A.

Messenger

• Loc: Johnson City TN, South Central USA

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Taking the Papilios to a museum is great! I can see small details that the glass keeps me away from. An exhibit on historical items of the Roman Catholic papacy or the historical documents of the Dead Sea scrolls with associated historical items really increased my interest and pleasure. On coins I could see small details that were invisible by my eyes assisted with reading glasses. In the Natural museum I could see the intense capillaries in the Narwhal tusk.

Over time my Papilios do show some dis-collimation. However, it is in an easily accommodated type. I just find that I slightly cross my eyes so it does not feel straining.

Rob.

#36 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

Slowly but surely I am crossing over to the "closer" side. Especially this time of year with all the flowering bushes we have, including roses, Mexican Sage and Butterfly Bushes.

#37 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

Just received my 6.5x Papilio - and I must say they are a hoot!!!!!!

I think these will be a lot of fun for a lot of ( non astronomy) uses. I've got plenty other binoculars for astro.

Thanks to the CN'ers on this thread for pointing me at this interesting
binocular. :jump:

#38 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

:waytogo:

Rich

#39 JKoelman

JKoelman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bangalore, India

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

Slowly but surely I am crossing over to the "closer" side.

May I then suggest you delete the words "very far away" from your signature file? :grin:

#40 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

Took the 6.5x Papilio to RMSS and they were a lot of fun while hiking. Distant focus image quality is really quite nice and it's a hoot to watch ants come and go from the nest, and study the structure of flowers, weeds, and tiny barrel cacti. Like macrophotography in real time! Very enjoyable.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics