• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

iOptron's web site is confusing about iEQ45 weights. Under the Description and Features tabs, it says 25 lbs. However, Specifications says the mount weighs 20 pounds, the tripod weighs 16.5 pounds and it comes with two 11 pound counterweights. iOptron tech support is supposed to be very good. Why not call or e-mail them and find out for sure?

A 9.25 inch Edge HD on an iEQ45 is one of my candidates for an ultimate astrophotography setup. The only thing that worries me is whether an iEQ45 will be steady enough for long exposures at f/10 or whether I need to invest in a Mach1.

Like you, I need to be careful about equipment weight. I have accepted that photography with an OTA that weighs 20 to 30 pounds will require a mount too heavy for me to carry when assembled. I will have to break it down into head, tripod and counterweights.

Put it this way, if you can afford an upper tier mount, then don't waste your time or money on anything less. It will be cheaper to go with an upper tier now rather than step stone you way up to it in the future. There is a big difference between the mid level mounts and the upper level mounts and there are good reasons for it.

#27 mistyridge

mistyridge

Gemini

• Loc: Loomis, CA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

Kasey pics look good.

#28 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

theres a non goto atlas on ebay now for $599 I think..

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics