• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RobbW

RobbW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, IL

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

I would like to request some help from you all if I may. I am trying to find photographic examples of Dark Sky-Friendly (DSF) lighting installations. I am trying to organize a responsible lighting campaign in my community in the run-up to the first annual International Starry Night on August 10.

I need links to photos showing the results of installing DSF lighting. Preferably, I would like before and after photos. Photos of any installation location would be great, be it municipal lighting, gas stations, sports fields and complexes, or residential neighborhoods.

I would be especially grateful for links to any photos depicting DSF landscape lighting or DSF vanity home lighting. I want to be able to show that homeowners can have extravagant outdoor lighting that showcases the beauty of their homes using only DSF lighting.

I have been combing the interwebs for such images, but not having much luck. I have found more than enough photos of the DSF fixtures themselves, but I need photographic evidence of the results of installing DSF lighting.

Thank you for any and all help!

#2 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Try googling
full cutoff light fixtures
and then click on IMAGES.

#3 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Contact International Dark Sky Association and I am sure that they give or let you copy some pictures. Light Pollution books, etc. Google on England Light Pollution and I remember some nice pictures of compare between bad and good lights but I hope its still there.

#4 surf2snow1

surf2snow1

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Litchfield Park, AZ

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Contact International Dark Sky Association and I am sure that they give or let you copy some pictures. Light Pollution books, etc. Google on England Light Pollution and I remember some nice pictures of compare between bad and good lights but I hope its still there.

What Illinois speaks of:
http://www.darksky.o...rence-materials

I think the last PDF is the one you are looking for.

#5 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

This is great, thanks! Time to talk to lighting enjineer here in my town. He is trying to help with the street lights on my street. I told him that some are shining directly into my bedrooms and lighting up the whole side of my house. I cannot observe from my front yard because of these lights and destroys my view of the western sky. Like this week when I'm trying to see the 3 planets line up!

He installed two half shields for a test and they helped some, but need more.

Bob

#6 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Here's a recent CN thread (with pictures) showing the benefit of full-cutoff streetlights. Since the pictures in that thread (in the "General Observing" forum) were taken by me of the immediate vicinity of my own house, you have permission to use them for your "dark sky installs" project. You'll find the "night view" picture in about the fourth or fifth post down especially useful.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics