Photo

Another poll -- what do you do for a living?

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#126 Wade J

Wade J

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: south dakota

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Another Pharmacist here. I have worked mostly in retail stores for the past 32 years. My work schedule is working the nice clear days (or the next mornng for clear nights) and when I have off days it is cloudy.

#127 nightofnit

nightofnit

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Tire forensic engineer

#128 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Up until about 3 months ago, I was on an audit team that audited Lockheed Martin where they designed the space shuttle and the New Consellation series of spacecraft. Got to see the new Constellation capsule about 4 month's ago. Interesting place to work....didn't have a lot to do with the hobby though as I was already interested before I got there. Now I audit universities....

#129 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Research professor at a major university. The fact that I'm a curious person has drawn me to Astronomy, as well as to my profession. I'd say that is the only link between the two.

#130 germana1

germana1

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Been in the import auto repair business for the last 40+ years self employed just recently started to fix domestic vehicles,and loving every minute of it. Three kids lots of animals loving wife,Life,s good.I think I have a scope addiction!
Pete

#131 Perigny270

Perigny270

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

fascinating variety of jobs. Boy would it be fun to havestar party with this gang!
Me? Process engineer in a pulp mill that purifies cellulose from trees. Our products are the raw material for an unbelievable range of products all over the world: pharmaceutical and food grades, explosives, LCD screens, thickeners, clothing... My job is centred around chemical, water and heat recovery, as well as wastewater treatment. Of couse one of the attractions here is the clear dark sky. Blue zone where I live and 10 miles or so to gray and black. have been looking up as long as I can remember. Brought up surrounded with radios and airplanes. Now close to retirement...

#132 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

33 years in a oil field chemicals plant. Last three of it in an office. My Obs is named the Hardhat Observatory for a reason. Shift work for 30 years made Astronomy an easy hobby to pick up.

#133 haywool

haywool

Explorer 1

• Loc: Illinois, U.S.A.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Farmer and musician ... no longer a flight instructor :-(

#134 EddWen

EddWen

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

An Alaskan bush pilot masquerading as an Orange County CA Entrepreneur.

Retired from work.

Still flying.

#135 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm a rag picker out behind the supermarket, and live in a van down by the river.

:grin:

#136 MarkShay

MarkShay

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

First 18 years managed a test department for the Harris corp. defense sector, then the cold war ended. Next 20 years managed a surgical practice. Retired due to health issues and am very happy with that.

#137 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Gemini

• Loc: Matthews, NC, USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hi Mike. I'm a nuclear engineer and have worked as one for 37 years running. For the last 30 years I've worked for a untility supporting the operation of its "fleet" of nuclear power stations. Most of my work is for the Catawba Nuclear Station, but a good bit for McGuire and Oconee as well.

It's a blessing that it's a job that for the most part I like. The only connections to my asto-hobby are

1) There is a scientific bent to both.
2) Both involve analytic thinking.
3) There are a few colleagues and friends here who also are amateur astronomers and sometimes we talk telescopes and star gazing.

#138 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

I am a retired Naval Officer after 30 years in the Naval Nuclear power program. I am now a nuclear submarine maintenance manager for a submarine squadron, it was nice to retire and still work my expertise. I have loved the night sky since I was a kid growing up with the moon landings in my living room.

#139 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hi Mike. I'm a nuclear engineer and have worked as one for 37 years running. For the last 30 years I've worked for a untility supporting the operation of its "fleet" of nuclear power stations. Most of my work is for the Catawba Nuclear Station, but a good bit for McGuire and Oconee as well.

It's a blessing that it's a job that for the most part I like. The only connections to my asto-hobby are

3) There are a few colleagues and friends here who also are amateur astronomers and sometimes we talk telescopes and star gazing.

Doesn't that "glow in the dark" thingy kind of mess up the astronomy thingy???? :lol:

#140 Mark Costello

Mark Costello

Gemini

• Loc: Matthews, NC, USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Doesn't that "glow in the dark" thingy kind of mess up the astronomy thingy???? :lol:

Naw, it actually makes for a good "dark light" to help see my sketchpad. :lol:

#141 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

I was a Radio Relay Technician when I was in the Air Force.

Me too. By any chance were you ever stationed in Germany? 1st Comm?

Nope, but I passed thru Germany on the way to my permanent location! I was at a fixed Tropo site which supported both voice, and crypto. Where, when, and at who, I'll have to leave out.

Were you also at a fixed location, or goin' mobile with TRC-97s?

#142 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Nope, but I passed thru Germany on the way to my permanent location! I was at a fixed Tropo site which supported both voice, and crypto. Where, when, and at who, I'll have to leave out.

I worked on TRC-97s. I was at Lindsey Air Station in Wiesbaden from 1979-1981.

#143 JoeR

JoeR

Apollo

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Merchant disputes for EFS debit cards. Also a small pittance in music royalites.

#144 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

FACP?

#145 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

• Loc: Alabama

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm a College Library Director.

I always wanted to be a scientist growing up. My loves were Paleontology and Astronomy. I also dreamed of being a writer and began writing poetry when I was very young. I guess my 'left-brain' won out in the end and I majored in English. I found myself not dedicated enough to be the 'great writer' I dreamed of becoming. Being pretty much an 'ultimate generalist,' what profession could be better than a Librarian. I found myself working in a public library a few years after college, and everything just kind of fell into place. I finished my MLIS a couple of years later. It is the one profession that I can literally say relates to every subject, including my early love... Astronomy.

John

#146 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Another Pharmacist here. I have worked mostly in retail stores for the past 32 years. My work schedule is working the nice clear days (or the next mornng for clear nights) and when I have off days it is cloudy.

Wade I tired to send a PM yet you are not accepting.Would like to know what part of South Dakota you live in. Send me a PM if you are able to. Tim

#147 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

• Loc: Nr. Scotland.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

Retired baker.

Perhaps I owe Trimdon Bakeries for getting me on course for my first telescope (3" refractor). In 1961 Jan/Feb. as an apprentice one of my last jobs was to gather and burn the rubbish (6/7p.m.- 5 a.m. start!) and on what must have been a long sequence of clear nights was Venus brilliantly gleaming down each evening. THAT was the trigger to finally getting a scope – and I still mark each 8-year repeat of that elongation!

#148 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

OK, you were assigned to the 1st Combat Communications Squadron! I had to look that up, as I wasn't familiar with it. In my previous post, I was asking if you were supporting TACC as part of an FACP (Forward Air Control Post) as TRC-97s were pretty much part, and parcel for FACPs.

From what I read, 1st COMM was really all about providing the mobile comms, and ATC capabilities for airbases we built in combat zones overseas. They apparently have quite a proud history, according to what I read! Here's the link to where I got my info:

http://1stmob.com/h.htm

Heh... small world, huh? I guess they finally retired the TRC-97s, and replaced them with digital gear. The end of an era!

#149 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Loc: Blue Island Illinois

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

I have been a Chef for 16 years, the last 7 years in a job training program in Chicago. Last year I took an Assistant Director's position so I now oversee Inspiration Kitchens, two Social Enterprise Restaurants that are open to the public and train homeless/ex offenders good work ethics and culinary training in the back to get them off state aid and into the workforce. I live in two worlds, Restaurant Management and Nonprofit/Corporate. Most of the time I'm having a ball...

#150 City Kid

City Kid

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

OK, you were assigned to the 1st Combat Communications Squadron! I had to look that up, as I wasn't familiar with it. In my previous post, I was asking if you were supporting TACC as part of an FACP (Forward Air Control Post) as TRC-97s were pretty much part, and parcel for FACPs.

From what I read, 1st COMM was really all about providing the mobile comms, and ATC capabilities for airbases we built in combat zones overseas. They apparently have quite a proud history, according to what I read! Here's the link to where I got my info:

http://1stmob.com/h.htm

Heh... small world, huh? I guess they finally retired the TRC-97s, and replaced them with digital gear. The end of an era!

Yes, we were a very proud unit. I took part in some very big NATO exercises and we provided communications for the failed rescue attempt of the hostages in Iran. I personally didn't but 5 or 6 people in my shop did. We didn't know what they were doing until after the fact. All we knew was it was very secret and very big. I was there to greet the hostages when they were finally released and it's difficult to explain just how memorable and awesome that was.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics