OLD SCHOOL imaging, rebooted

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

• Loc: Aurora Colorado

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Photo gallery Additional descriptions under some of the pics.

OK this stuff is so cool I could write forever about it, but I'll try to make this the "short" version. The pics can tell the rest. Just open the gallery set and his slideshow!
:cool:

Yesterday afternoon, the kids and I went on a little field trip with the RRAS president to look at some observatories they are working on. First stop was a dome behind RR High School which has been sitting abandoned for some time. It apparently used to be a high speed tracking dome from White Sands Missle Range that they acquired. Anyway, we've seen a million domes on here. What was MORE interesting was the shed next to it where they were storing some amazing things.

Images will show most of this in ways I cannot describe, but essentially they had a major donation made to the club. It included a 25" Obsession, a 16" Dob, 16" Cassegrain, 12" Dob, 12" LX200, (2x)10" LX200s, and many, many more. The bigger gear was appraised quite high. It was all custom built by a gent back in the 50s and for astroimaging! This guy engineered and built all of it from scratch. All the machining and everything was custom by this guy. The gears on the mounts are brass, as are the setting circles. He had rotating OTA rings in place which were smooth as glass. The focusers had added hardware to bolt on extension rods for custom solar projection screens. He had all the adapters and hardware for slide film imaging. One of the film boxes sitting in the spare parts was labled 1958! The color and density filters for the DOB were massive - like the size of a CD!

They are going to reassemble all of this stuff on piers in their new Roll off Roof Obs that is being built currently just up the road from me. That was our next stop. I have a couple pics - it's just frame and base slabs for the piers so far.

Their goals are impressive and the donations to pull this project together are astounding. They've put a lot of work into making this happen.

I have been asked to come visit occasionally for outreach events, and to perhaps do some imaging workshops for the kids. This is going to be crazy. I am humbled and excited. I know they will make this a success.

:cool:

#2 lawrie

lawrie

Vanguard

• Loc: Okanagan Valley

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Yea! that is really good stuff...
What a find, WOW.....
Add some dark skies with good transparency, a bit of good seeing, and you can go deeeeeep.
Like to see pic when completed.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics