• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JimP

JimP

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

After being on the list for 10 years I just ordered an AP 130 GT. It will arrive in August. I have other, larger scopes and for a while I thought about not buying it. But, then the thought of using it for visual observations of double stars hit me. M I can see it now, me, with my copy of "Pleasures of the Telescope" by Garrett Serviss and a fine 5" refractor.

Chapter 1
The selection and testing of a glass:

" If the pure and elevated pleasure to be derived from the possession and use of a good telescope of three, four, five, or six inches aperture were generally known, I am certain that no instrument of science would be more commonly found in the homes of intelligent people."

Chapter II:

In the Starry Heavens

"Let us imagine ourselves the happy possessors of three properly mounted telescopes of five, four, and three inches aperture, respectively..."

Any recommendations for a Lightweight portable GOTO mount?

#2 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Jim

Congratulations on the new AP! I'm the owner of a 1991 6" AP and just love it for double star observing.

I use a SkyWatcher NEQ6 Pro mount. Not precisely portable but very accurate and extremely reliable. For your AP130 you could try a HEQ5 which is lighter but should handle the 5" fine.

Just a thought. Enjoy the AP!

Roberto

#3 WRAK

WRAK

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria, Europe

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

An 130mm AP refractor is certainly first choice for double star observing. For the pure pleasure of observing doubles you may find GoTo not this necessary and prefer an alt/az mount like the Nove Hitch - for easier finding fainter stars may be with DSC and Sky Commander.
Wilfried

#4 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Jim,

Congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy this scope.

When my name finally bubbles up to the top of the list (hoping for next time), the A-P 130 is light enough to use on my GM-8 mount. I use SkyWire and Sky Safari to control it and it's a very nice set up with my Traveler.

Cheers,

Ron

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

After being on the list for 10 years I just ordered an AP 130 GT. It will arrive in August. I have other, larger scopes and for a while I thought about not buying it. But, then the thought of using it for visual observations of double stars hit me. M I can see it now, me, with my copy of "Pleasures of the Telescope" by Garrett Serviss and a fine 5" refractor.

Chapter 1
The selection and testing of a glass:

" If the pure and elevated pleasure to be derived from the possession and use of a good telescope of three, four, five, or six inches aperture were generally known, I am certain that no instrument of science would be more commonly found in the homes of intelligent people."

Chapter II:

In the Starry Heavens

"Let us imagine ourselves the happy possessors of three properly mounted telescopes of five, four, and three inches aperture, respectively..."

Any recommendations for a Lightweight portable GOTO mount?

Well amateur astronomy has advanced a great deal since 1901 and these days intelligent people often have some pretty large aperture. That said the 130 out to do fine on doubles and planets as well.

Pete

#6 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

Jim -
Congrats on the new scope! Fine choice for double stars.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics