Photo

New Kowa Highlander - perfect grab and go scope?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#51 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

I received a PM about the moon pictures I took with the iPhone and about the question, how big the moon would appear in the 50x eyepiece. Because I imagine that my answer could be of interest for others too, I am including it here:

I took both pictures with the 9mm 50x eyepiece. For the second I just used the zoom of the iPhone camera app. Even for the first picture I used some zoom.

This is my calculation: The true field of view of the 50x eyepiece is 1.33 degrees. The moon is about 0.5 degrees. And the apparent field of view is 67 degrees. So the moon has an apparent size of about 25 degrees in the eyepiece.

I am attaching a list with the specs of the eyepieces, which I partly took from the Kowa website, partly wrote myself. (I measured the weight and supplemented the Info about the iPhone adapters.)

I looked at the the moon also with the 32x standard eyepiece and found the image too small. The 50x is fine. However, I wouldn't be able to show a photo saying: "This was the size of the moon in the eyepiece." Comparing views and photographs depends so much on how you look at the photo. What can be said though is that the moon should with the 50x eyepiece appear roughly 1.56 times larger than with the 32x eyepiece.

But I certainly would like to look at the moon with more magnification than 50x, say with 75x or even 100x. The Highlander can easily handle that, I think.

Well, I do hope all of my considerations and calculations are correct. Looking forward to some comments.

Heinz

Attached Files

#52 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Finder question:

I had a hard time finding the moon with the 32xx eyepiece, even after aiming with the Kowa grip.
Which finder do you recommend? If possible, it should be small and detachable, because I am planning to put the binos into a backpack and carry the with me. (The Rigel finder looks real big, and it has to be glued to the scope, whcih makes is less practical for me.).

Heinz

#53 Rick

Rick

Gemini

• Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Heinz, you saw a Rigel Quickfinder attached to my Mag 1 Portaball for reference when you visited me last week. The tall piece easily detaches from the flat baseplate that can attach to your Highlander with double sided tape. Storage should be no problem. I have a spare (not for sale) you can try.

#54 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

Thank you, Rick, you are right, should be easy to just leave the baseplate on the scope.

You will not believe it, but I found a Rigel Quickfinder in my own home! I had bought one many years ago for the Dob, and forgot about it. Just have to find the baseplate for smaller scopes too. It must be somewhere in in some box.
Stupid me!

Heinz

#55 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Italy

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

Congratulations from Italy!

#56 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

Congratulations from Italy!

Thank you Piergiovanni.

I love your website, and I often read it in Italian. I don't speak the language, but I can speak Spanish and Portuguese, which are not too far away.

Heinz

#57 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

My two cents....a LOT of money for 82mm aperture.

:p

#58 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

• Loc: Under the southern horn of the bull

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

I can understand why - quality, pride of ownership, relatively portable binoc viewing with interchangeable eyepieces. I'd do the same if I had the available astrofunds at present.

#59 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

I can understand why - quality, pride of ownership, relatively portable binoc viewing with interchangeable eyepieces. I'd do the same if I had the available astrofunds at present.

My bad...

I forgot about "pride of ownership."

;)

I'd like to see some objective data like effective aperture and edge of field illumination measurements. These are on my short list for Australian trip.

#60 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

:p

I do not remember EVER seeing a post of the Highlander that was negative (other than cost).

It is a high quality, small size, optic for that once in a lifetime trip to the South.
Do you really want to spend all that time, money, effort going to the Southern Hemisphere and having marginal optics :question:

If it were me going, my short list would be
-highlander
-fuji 16x70
-70-90mm APO scope
-or maybe both the fuji and smaller APO

but I do need to admit that when I did go,
my most enjoyable viewing was naked eye

edj

#61 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

No-after some reconsideration of the above post
I would take my Miyauchi 5x32 Binon for its 13 degree FOV as expended naked eye
and something like TV76 or Tak78 with tripod

edj

#62 kcolter

kcolter

Ranger 4

• Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

I would like to hear from Kowa Highlander owners an opinion about the use of the 21mm eyepieces from Kowa that yield 21X magnification. We have had many posts about using the 50X eyepieces and hoping for more magnification than that. What about eyepieces that give the widest field this binocular is capable of?

#63 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

I have thought a litte about Mr.Bill's input.
It is true, the Highlander costs a lot of money. And it is true, in term of a linear cost-benefit calculation, these binoculars are way too expensive. But don't we have this situation everywhere? Take for instance Hifi-equipment. The first 80% of the quality scale can be had for 20% of the maximum price level. But to get the last 20% of quality, I'd have to pay the remaining 80%. The question is: Am I willing to do that? The decision for or against it has little to do with clean reasoning, but a lot with enthusiasm, perfectionism and even a bit of craziness.
I know, I am not acting reasonably buying a thing like the Highlander plus an expensive tripod, a video head and extra eyepieces.
But who wants to be reasonable all the time? Humans aren't reasonable. And isn't it often this kind of "madness" that contributes to excitement in life?
My "two cents".

Heinz

#64 Andresin150

Andresin150

Apollo

• Loc: Bogotá - La Calera / Colombia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

I would take my new (have not arrived yet...) 8 deg swarovision 8x32...
But I would certainly miss bigger optics... I do agree that considering acceptable portability and excellent optics, the Higlanders and the Docters are in the top of the list..

#65 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

I would like to hear from Kowa Highlander owners an opinion about the use of the 21mm eyepieces from Kowa that yield 21X magnification. We have had many posts about using the 50X eyepieces and hoping for more magnification than that. What about eyepieces that give the widest field this binocular is capable of?

Kim

Can you do the effective aperture test to see if you're getting the full 82mm that you paid for? My BT100s are actually 92mm due to a vignetting baffle. (but they didn't cost $3500)

I've been burned on BT optics in the past in that regard.

Big Binocular's BT70 45s tested out at 60mm...I sent them back. I was hoping they would work for the trip.

Also a photo of the "catseye" looking at the extreme edge of the lightcone from the objective end would reveal a lot about the light dropoff (edge of field illumination) from on axis.

If you need more info on what I'm talking about, please PM me. This information is necessary for me to decide on buying. I would also want the 21x ep option. 4mm exit pupil is minimum for my needs in observing MW structure.

Thanks

#66 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

I have thought a litte about Mr.Bill's input.
It is true, the Highlander costs a lot of money. And it is true, in term of a linear cost-benefit calculation, these binoculars are way too expensive. But don't we have this situation everywhere? Take for instance Hifi-equipment. The first 80% of the quality scale can be had for 20% of the maximum price level. But to get the last 20% of quality, I'd have to pay the remaining 80%. The question is: Am I willing to do that? The decision for or against it has little to do with clean reasoning, but a lot with enthusiasm, perfectionism and even a bit of craziness.
I know, I am not acting reasonably buying a thing like the Highlander plus an expensive tripod, a video head and extra eyepieces.
But who wants to be reasonable all the time? Humans aren't reasonable. And isn't it often this kind of "madness" that contributes to excitement in life?
My "two cents".

Heinz

Humans aren't reasonable? You obviously don't know me.

;)

#67 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Can you do the effective aperture test to see if you're getting the full 82mm that you paid for?

Hi Bill,

Here you go. They are from old thread (APM 100ED v.s. Kowa Highlander):

Kowa Highlander Clear Aperture Test

Edge illumination test with 9mm eyepiece

Tammy

#68 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks Tammy, that's just what I'm looking for.

:waytogo:

#69 kcolter

kcolter

Ranger 4

• Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

[quote name="Mr. Bill"]Thanks Tammy, that's just what I'm looking for.

and done way better than I would have been able to portray it

#70 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

Humans aren't reasonable? You obviously don't know me.

The reason for being reasonable is often unreasonable. (Or always?)

I'd like to see some objective data like effective aperture and edge of field illumination measurements. These are on my short list for Australian trip.

I agree. Even unreasonable decisions shouldn't be based on fantasy.
;)

#71 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

The reason for being reasonable is often unreasonable. (Or always?)

;)

Can't argue with that...don't even know what it means.

;)

#72 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Bill,

you may be over thinking this
just take what you already have,
and used the saved money to stay longer

edj

reasonable or unreasonable thinking-- :question:

#73 Andresin150

Andresin150

Apollo

• Loc: Bogotá - La Calera / Colombia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Or buy the highlanders, stay longer, have a great astro trip, and sell them again a at small loss when you get back... Like renting them, just that there is not anyone renting those....
You'll probably like them so much that you may keep them, and if necessary end selling something else that doesnt get much use...

#74 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

My Fuji 16x70s are looking better and better....

:grin:

#75 MB_PL

MB_PL

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

Hi Heinz,

Have you considered a teleoptic giro mount?
Light weight, very robust, with a very high load capacity.
The two arm versions would allow you to mount the Sky90 and the Kowa Highlander or the Coronado 90 and Kowa Highlander simultanoeusly. Might be an interesting solution.

I strongly believe that you could use the Kowa on the Giro III or the Eracole without any counterweights. Alternatively, you could hang a rock in a bag on the other arm for ultra smooth panning - not a very elegant solution, but it would significantly decrease the load you would have to carry in your back-pack.

I have a Giro II mount. If you're interested in my impressions, drop me a PM.

Regards,
Maciej

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics