Guiding using stock finder scope?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

I have an Omni XLT 150 reflector that came stock with a 6x30 finder. You can't remove the eyepiece or fit a 1.25" eyepiece, or camera in this. Would I be able to somehow attach a webcam to this and use it for guiding, or would I have to invest in a finder scope that would allow me to insert a 1.25" eyepiece?

#2 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

You might be able to jury rig something by taking the end off the finder near the eyepiece and sticking a camera in there. But honestly, if you are doing planetary photography, you don't need to guide, and if you are doing DSO, things are going to get a lot more expensive than the cost of a proper guide scope.

#3 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

I have come across a hack to allow guiding with my cg-4 and it's motor drives, and have been considering it, but not completely sure I'll benefit much from it. Currently getting pretty good images (considering the setup) at 2 minutes, and the light pollution makes it hard to go much past that, so guiding isn't too beneficial at the moment. May play around with your idea and see if I can fix it to the finder scope.

#4 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

If you do take the end off the finder scope, you will find that you will need to extend from there quite a bit with something to get most cameras you might use to come to focus (I assume you'll use something like a webcam).

#5 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

Yeah I'll be using a webcam, a logitech fusion. I figured I'd have to extend the back quite a bit to achieve focus.

#6 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

There are adaptors to allow a guide camera to be used with a finder but I think they are more usually for bigger finders such as the 9x50.

Otherwise taking the eyepiece off and making something with plumbing parts may be worth trying for little expense in anything but time.

Chris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics