Excellent Astronomy Podcasts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

I have really been enjoying these podcasts during my cloudy nights not observing. I usually sit back with a pipe and a drink of choice and listen away. The 2 hosts are an excellent pair and have a great way of explaining all things related to the Universe.

So next time you are looking for something to do when it's cloudy out and you have polished that eyepiece for the 20th time....give these a whirl.

I have started at the bottom of the list (in the archived older pod casts) and slowly will make my way up to the current ones. There are a TON of podcasts ranging from every astronomy topic you can imagine. So far I have been riveted with each 25 minute episode. Highly recommended!

Astronomy Cast

#2 dgcms

dgcms

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Daniel. There are a lot of interesting topics in their archive. Much to listen to and learn from.

#3 dtripz

dtripz

Explorer 1

• Loc: Brooklyn NY

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

There are a few more. At the eyepiece, 365 days of astronomy, planetary society, starstuff, jodcast and a some I can't remember. There is also astronomy fm that just broadcasts astronomy radio news 24/7.

#4 Some call me Tim

Some call me Tim

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

The Jodcast is probably my overall favorite; it's a twice a month from the Univ. of Manchester (there is a monthly episode than an "extra" released about two weeks later). It's done by shifting cast of clearly enthusiastic and sometimes humorous grad students: they mix interesting stories and interviews with a really good overview of what's observable each month. Excellent production values, easy to listen to. It may be the only one I actually look forward to.

Univ Texas has a short (2.5 min) daily one called StarDate that is quick but good.

365 Days of Astronomy used to be better; there is less original stuff -- I believe that technically it "ended" some months back, but it has been revived, though these days it is mostly recordings of space hangouts with Fraser Cain & crew. Still listenable. Got a feeling Cain, Pamela Gay, CosmoQuest and that crew may have taken it over and are trying to figure out what to do with it.

At the Eyepiece is intermittent and more amateur (though, as thus, a more traditional podcast), and while earnest, it can be occasionally annoying and overly geeky (if the host says "at the eyepiece" one more time I may have to shoot myself).

Aussie Steve Nerlich's Cheap Astronomy can be good, too (it was a regular participant in the 365 Days before 365 Days "expired").

Neil deGrasse Tyson posts one or two of his StarTalk radio shows per month in podcast form, but it hasn't really caught me yet -- it is almost over produced and him and his co-hosts come across as geeks trying to sell space as cool to people who normally wouldn't be interested. Makes me wonder about the Cosmos remake.

#5 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for the tip on the Jodcast. I will have to check it out....

Looks,like tons of interesting topics!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics