The shortcomings of Astronomy as a Hobby

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 JoeR

JoeR

Apollo

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

Ouch. And I was thinking our average here of 200 cloudy nights was bad enough. :(

I kept track last year we had only 36 nights where you could observe. I managed to get out for each one even if I was only in a city park. Funny I never noticed how cloudy it was here until I became an astronomer. I just assumed we were average.

#52 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Any out-of-doors hobby requiring a specific set of conditions demands you learn patience. Lots of patience.

When conditions are finally favorable you get out and do your thing......any if you keep doing that someday the big event will happen......in fishing it is time on the water that counts. The lasting memories gained are a direct result of the effort and time expended in the endeavor. Nothing is easy if the rewards are great.

#53 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

"......in fishing it is time on the water that counts."

with some of the people I've fished with, it's trying to keep them from falling IN the water.. :lol:

#54 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

If I can't observe, I'll get some beer and pizza and watch my Family Guy DVDs.

#55 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

The main drawback for me is lack of astro funds like in grinding poverty. It took me a year to put together my modest equipment. Still lots more I'd like, but I have enough to start now and not feel like an armchair astronomer. Next acquisitions will be a Starbound observing chair and a 10" dob.

My rainy/indoor hobby is planted fresh water aquariums and various forums.

#56 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

I don't worry about it. I've been observing since 1960 with a scope, and go out to this day whenever I want. Yet, I have also learned to not feel obligated even when it's a great night. If I'm not in the mood it's no cause for concern. My interest will never die. But I have become more relaxed about it nowadays (maybe it's my age---as in "old"). Many times I just wanna sit with the binos. And whether it's just binos or with a scope I don't always run around the yard in different spots, trying to see asolutely everything possible. No, I've taken the pressure off and just sit in one spot and take whatever is given to me. Maybe there is something in particular I wanna see, to, so sometimes I will move. Sometimes I even might have a specific plan for the night. But if I don't I don't have to feel like I'm a slackard for not making the most of a night. I take it as it comes. Maybe I get out there and decide to count fireflies instead. No worries.

Sometimes I sit in the yard even if it's cloudy, if it's just one of those nights when the air feels good. Why, I have even sat out and watched the clouds go by at night, all lit up by the streetlights and shopping centers in my red zone.

Heh, it's a wonder I have any time for any of it, playing music in three bands and doing other things. Oh, and I do have other hobbies, too. And I always know that a good observing time will come around again before too long. So, why fret about a cloudy night?

#57 tknice

tknice

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

I don't know about all of the shortcomings first-hand yet because I'm just an astro noob. One thing I can say however, is that I'm almost glad that every night isn't a winner night (GASP) because it really makes me appreciate the ones that are.

It's nice that my other major hobbies are weather independent.

Home Brewer
Home Theater Enthusiast

#58 StarDaddy

StarDaddy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Shore, Maryland

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

I also share frustrations (and weather) with C-Moon. But upon reflextion, seems most of my hobbies are weather-dependant (boating, fishing, sport-shooting, cycling) Fortunately, I like to play guitar, so on really crummy weekends, I can literally sing-the-blues!

Perhaps therein lies the answer, develope a fall-back hobby, maybe even one that accessorizes the other (like woodworking)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics