Photo

Vixen SS2K question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mike bacanin

mike bacanin

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:57 AM

Can anyone tell me if the Vixen SkySensor 2000 and the later PC version, will operate as a non goto mode, ie just the ability to slew manually to an object and then begin tracking?

I have an opportunity to buy a GPDX with a much desired (for me!) tall pillar. But i do not need goto as a planetary visual observer. The mount is in great order.
I know nothing about the SS2K system.

Mike

#2 Panotaker

Panotaker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

I have a GPDX with the SS2K, but it has been a while since I used it. I believe it will start tracking as soon as you tell it you have a gem mount.

#3 core

core

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

The nice thing about the SS2K (which is missing from other mounts, even the latest ones iirc) is that you can choose between aligned and un-aligned EQ mode. In aligned mode, only the RA motor will run to track - so you PA has to be good. In un-aligned mode, you can be pointed many degrees away from celestial pole, and once you enter the alignment stars, it will track and object with BOTH RA and DEC motors - think of it like a tracking alt-az that's pointed at a crazy angle. The mount will not only model the offset, but iirc from the manual, as you add more alignment stars, it will model other errors such as cone and OTA offset - pretty nifty.

One thing though, iirc, may apply to the non-PC version or earlier ROM version, the motors are known to 'cog' when tracking, causing a jitter at the eyepiece at high powers. When I had the SS2K on my SP mount, I didn't view much above 150x, and did not notice this cogging. You might want to take that into consideration.

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

The nice thing about the SS2K (which is missing from other mounts, even the latest ones iirc) is that you can choose between aligned and un-aligned EQ mode. In aligned mode, only the RA motor will run to track - so you PA has to be good. In un-aligned mode, you can be pointed many degrees away from celestial pole, and once you enter the alignment stars, it will track and object with BOTH RA and DEC motors - think of it like a tracking alt-az that's pointed at a crazy angle. The mount will not only model the offset, but iirc from the manual, as you add more alignment stars, it will model other errors such as cone and OTA offset - pretty nifty.

Better yet, those modes serve as an extremely effective polar alignment aid. Do a star alignment in unaligned EQ mode (including stars from both sides of meridian), center a star, and switch to aligned EQ mode. The mount will move so that it would point at the star if correctly polar aligned. Then recenter the star by adjusting the mount's az and el bolts. All done. It's just like Celestron's ASPA but a couple of decades earlier. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics