CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any owners of an Orion Optics UK ODK telescope?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Theaetetus

Theaetetus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

The Orion Optics ODK line has been around for a couple of years now. I don’t know anyone personally who owns one of these scopes. However, the optical performance seems impressive based on the RMS spot size diagrams provided by the company (http://www.orionopti...odkrangeand(ota).html) and some uncropped images that I’ve seen also look impressive. The cost/performance ratio seems particularly good.

I am debating between the ODK10 and ODK12 but I’m leaning toward the 10 inch. The seeing in my area (~1.5 arcsec at best, 2.5-3.0 typically) is a reasonable match for the ODK10 with my QSI540WSG (0.9 arcsec/pixel) and even a KAF16803 (1.09 arcsec/pixel) isn’t bad. I’m not sure that longer FL makes sense for me given the limitations of my skies and the significantly higher cost.

Does anyone have long-term experience with one of these scopes?

Thanks very much.

Theaetetus

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

You need to do a little searching through the Cats and Casses threads. I'm fairly sure that there was some discussion of the scopes sometime within the last year.

#3 Theaetetus

Theaetetus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Yes I did do such a search in terms of the current threads and in the archive without any hits.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics