Photo

Any owners of an Orion Optics UK ODK telescope?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Theaetetus

Theaetetus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

The Orion Optics ODK line has been around for a couple of years now. I don’t know anyone personally who owns one of these scopes. However, the optical performance seems impressive based on the RMS spot size diagrams provided by the company (http://www.orionopti...odkrangeand(ota).html) and some uncropped images that I’ve seen also look impressive. The cost/performance ratio seems particularly good.

I am debating between the ODK10 and ODK12 but I’m leaning toward the 10 inch. The seeing in my area (~1.5 arcsec at best, 2.5-3.0 typically) is a reasonable match for the ODK10 with my QSI540WSG (0.9 arcsec/pixel) and even a KAF16803 (1.09 arcsec/pixel) isn’t bad. I’m not sure that longer FL makes sense for me given the limitations of my skies and the significantly higher cost.

Does anyone have long-term experience with one of these scopes?

Thanks very much.

Theaetetus

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

You need to do a little searching through the Cats and Casses threads. I'm fairly sure that there was some discussion of the scopes sometime within the last year.

#3 Theaetetus

Theaetetus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Yes I did do such a search in terms of the current threads and in the archive without any hits.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics