Glass Filter: Seymour vs Thousand Oaks?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

I've been thinking about buying a PST lately, but unsure if I will take to solar astronomy. For this reason, i'm going to try a filter first and see where it goes. I prefer natural color, which is why i've narrowed it down to glass filters.

Which filter would you recommend between these two? Or if there's others I have overlooked, feel free to recommend those as well.

Thanks. :cool:

#2 steveward53

steveward53

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

To be honest you would , in my humble opinion , be better off with Baader Solar film , either a loose A4 sheet that you can make your own filter from or a ready made filter cell.

http://www.astrozap....p?idCategory=30

At the end of the day the choice is a personal matter but I believe the film is much more robust than glass filters and produces the most natural view , the Sun does after all transmit "white" light to the human eye , not blue , orange or green as it appears in glass filters or wedges .....

And if you are just dabbling it is a lot cheaper option too.

It would be a good idea to try out the various options if you can , at a local Astro-society or Star-party , there's nothing beats actually looking through filters to compare , no amount of advice here can beat that .....

#3 dyslexic nam

dyslexic nam

Vanguard

• Loc: PEI, Canada

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

And if you like the look of a yellow sun for aesthetic purposes, you can just add an ep filter.

#4 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

And if you like the look of a yellow sun for aesthetic purposes, you can just add an ep filter.

Indeed. Add a yellow or light orange filter to the eyepiece and, using Baader solar film, you get the same sort of coloration you'd expect from the Seymour or Thousand Oaks filters.

The point here is that Baader solar film filters are far superior optically to the cheaper glass filters. The only objective solar glass filters that are optically preferable to Baader solar film are the Zeiss ones which cost huge amounts of money (far more than a Herschel wedge & filter set).

#5 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

Nthing what everybody else has said. While the thousand oaks glass beats the seymour glass, Baader film spanks both of them by a considerable margin. If you like a yellow color, just use a #12 filter at the eyepiece and you're golden (pun intended).

Also; the white image given by Baader film or a herschel wedge is factually a more "natural" color than the yellow or orange given by glass filters. This "more natural color" bullpuckies is pure advertizing bunkum on the part of companies like Thousand Oals and Orion wanting to sell product. Baader film and herschel wedges show a white image because they have a true neutral density as opposed to glass filters that artificially tint the view yellow or orange.

#6 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Wow, I feel silly for not thinking of that; a filter + the film would be perfect. Much better detail, cheaper and I can see it orange or yellow depending on what i'm in the mood for, that sounds great. :jump:

Can I expect to see granulation with the film or just sunspots?

Also, happy birthday Zamboni. :waytogo:

#7 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Wow, I feel silly for not thinking of that; a filter + the film would be perfect. Much better detail, cheaper and I can see it orange or yellow depending on what i'm in the mood for, that sounds great. :jump:

Can I expect to see granulation with the film or just sunspots?

This may seem strange but the best "white light" views are actually with a green filter: the Baader Solar Continuum filter is about the best but an ordinary green (Wratten #58 or similar) is very good indeed. Once you get used to the strange coloration you'll find that more subtle details like faculae and granulation show up better with a green filter than they do in integrated light or with a longer wavelength filter.

Granulation requires 4"+ aperture to see well, plus better than average seeing allowing power of x100 or more, but it is definitely possible.

#8 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Agreed. The finest white-light solar views I've ever had were with a Solar Continuum filter and a 4" refractor. Granulation was in-your-face obvious (although this was also using a Herschel wedge instead of an aperture filter and the 4" refractor was an AP Traveler, but still...). In my own experiments a 58 green makes a good alternative on a budget. Granulation should be just barely visible with your Omni 102, and readily apparent with your Z10. Get a large-ish sheet of Baader film and make filters for each.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics