• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Simon D.

Simon D.

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

I have a 2 month old Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro mount, and I've run into a problem. In the first few times I used it, it tracked perfectly (I'm doing some astrophotography with it). I had 2 minute exposures, unguided, and nice round stars. On my 4th night out, it stopped tracking well. I was having trouble doing drift polar alignment, and I eventually realized that the mount wasn't tracking in RA. It was falling behind. Now it appears that it doesn't track at all (verified using an illuminated reticle).

The North, South, East, West buttons all work, and it slews as directed...but it doesn't track on it's own. I reset the hand controller and upgraded the firmware, but to no avail. I tried both AC and DC current, no difference. Also, I took the side-plate off to ensure the gears aren't stuck...no issues...I can move them by hand.

Any ideas to try before I send it back to the dealer for warranty work?

Thanks
Simon

#2 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

See if it track in RA w/o the hand control attached.

#3 Simon D.

Simon D.

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Good suggestion. I had thought that t needed the controller to operate and track...do you know if it's supposed to track without it? Thx

#4 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Check the led. If it's on solid, the power is good. If it's blinking, the voltage is low, and the mount will not track properly.

#5 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Check the led. If it's on solid, the power is good. If it's blinking, the voltage is low, and the mount will not track properly.

yeah and if it blinks while slewing its not balanced very well and you're stressing the motors. my club's Sirius did this one night when we swapped from a 120mm short tube refractor to a AT72ED without adjusting anything, battery pack was fully charged still (or close) after a re-balance and realign it was working without blinking again.

#6 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

• Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

might be the motor spur gear grubscrews have come loose? you can check for motion by removing the cover (6 screws) and seeing if the gears are actually driving, not just spinning loose on the motor or worm shaft.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics