Photo

SkySafari Plus as Atlas

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 turtle86

turtle86

Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

An updated version of Megastar would be great, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. :( Despite its antiquated-looking interface it's still a great piece of software in terms of content. That said, Sky Safari Pro gives Megastar a pretty good run for the money on content while being a lot less expensive and a lot more fun to use IMHO.

#27 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

I like Sky Safari, but

I was unable to find the Egg Nebula plotted or listed in Sky Safari Pro, but many other fainter PK's in Cygnus are listed.

#28 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

I like Sky Safari, but

I was unable to find the Egg Nebula plotted or listed in Sky Safari Pro, but many other fainter PK's in Cygnus are listed.

The Egg Nebula (PK 80-6.1) in Cygnus is plotted as the alleged "galaxy" UGC 11668 in Sky Safari Pro. The positions are identical, but the designation of the object as a galaxy is now known to be incorrect. The object was originally cataloged as a galaxy before more study (in 1975) revealed it to be a so-called "proto-planetary nebula". Megastar lists it at magnitude 13.5 with a size of 1' x 0.5' arc. Doubtless, this small classification goof-up will be probably cleared up in the next release, but for now, look for a plot of a galaxy rather than a planetary nebula. Clear skies to you.

#29 Tim DeBenedictis

Tim DeBenedictis

Vendor - SkySafari

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

All-

The Egg Nebula, PK 080-6.1, will be included in the SkySafari 4 database.

-Tim

#30 Galicapernistein

Galicapernistein

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit Michigan

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Thanks to the horrible winter, I've only just recently had the chance to field test SkySafari Plus on my iPod Touch. Wow is all I can say. I don't use any of the telescope go-to functions, which I really don't need after 25 years of observing. But every single atlas and field guide I had to take with me will now be staying home. Instead of walking back and forth between my scope and the back of my car to check some star map, I simply pull the iTouch out of my pocket, zoom in or out, and I'm there. I made observing lists of the Ursa Major, Virgo and "Springtime" galaxies that only include galaxies that have images of the galaxies in the program, and they contain over 120 galaxies! The Coma Berenices Supercluster shows all the galaxies that most people will ever see in their telescopes, and the Perseus Supercluster as well. I never had a more efficient observing session in my life. The only improvement I can imagine possible is for even more objects to contain images that can be compared with the telescope view, but there's more than enough objects covered now to keep me busy for a long time.

#31 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

I have SkySafari 4 Plus, for Android. It is all that I need. It is an excellent program. It is quite inexpensive for all it delivers--about $14. A laminated version of Sky Atlas 2000 is about $80. This is an example of where mobile apps are moving into, and even taking over astronomy map finders.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics