• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DJohnson

DJohnson

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Glendale Arizona

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Is anyone aware of any good Tripods which can affix to the Paramount MX, with the exception of the Bisque Pyramid Tripod? I'm looking for options other than that one.

#2 dhaval

dhaval

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

I know Rob Miller from Catamount systems used to make tripods for various mount makes - however, I am not sure if he is that active these days. He usually has an ad on A*Mart - but I have not seen an ad for a long time now.

Dhaval

#3 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

The Binoscope company makes a pretty nice tripod with a rotating head. Very, very solid, easy to level. I like mine a lot.

Paul

#4 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

It seems that all the good tripods are expensive.

The good thing about the Rob Miller tripods, when they were available, is that they were almost as good as yet half as expensive as the Bisque tripod. They were a very good value.

If you can live with a portable pier instead of a tripod, Astro-Physics makes an excellent rock solid 10-inch diameter portable pier. The disadvantages of this option are 1) you'd need a machine shop make a top plate adapter for you, and 2) they need a fairly level surface to begin with because they can only be leveled a little bit via differential tension on the leg struts.

#5 JM La Galette

JM La Galette

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Losmandy FHD tripod are I think one of the best performance to cost ratio for that kind of heavy mounts.
JMarc

#6 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:35 AM

Hi,

I'm receiving an adapterplate to fit my MX to my G11 tripod soon. I'll let you know how well it works out.

Wouter.

#7 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

I bought a Meade Giant Field Tripod and made an adaptor plate. It is very heavy but quite stable.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics