Solarmax 60 repair?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KDC

KDC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

I've got a 60 mm Coronado Solarmax. At one point I dropped the darn thing (I thought it was securely bolted to the mount but slipped when I had my back turned!).

Fortunately there was no breakage, these scopes seem pretty tough.

But I have noticed that the tuning wheel does not turn as much as it used to. I think the threaded shaft with the brass thumbwheel is bent. Fortunately I can still get a decent image out of it.

Given that Meade wants a minimum of $300-600 plus shipping just to look at it, I am wondering if anyone has ever replaced the threaded rod on one of these?

#2 KDC

KDC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'm surprised - no one has any suggestions?

#3 Andy Devey

Andy Devey

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hi

I have a friend that has had problems with his SM60 and has more or less abandoned it due to a cracked internal etalon. I did some fishing on the internet for him and was able to find a basic manual. Hope that this may help?

Regards

Andy

Meade solar max manual

#4 KDC

KDC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thanks - unfortunately, this does not show any internal views or information on how the external etalon is attached to the front of the scope.

#5 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

I don't think we can talk about this too much on here because of the ToS of CN forum. You could try asking the question on Solarchat.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics