Solarmax 60 repair?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KDC

KDC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

I've got a 60 mm Coronado Solarmax. At one point I dropped the darn thing (I thought it was securely bolted to the mount but slipped when I had my back turned!).

Fortunately there was no breakage, these scopes seem pretty tough.

But I have noticed that the tuning wheel does not turn as much as it used to. I think the threaded shaft with the brass thumbwheel is bent. Fortunately I can still get a decent image out of it.

Given that Meade wants a minimum of $300-600 plus shipping just to look at it, I am wondering if anyone has ever replaced the threaded rod on one of these?

#2 KDC

KDC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'm surprised - no one has any suggestions?

#3 Andy Devey

Andy Devey

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hi

I have a friend that has had problems with his SM60 and has more or less abandoned it due to a cracked internal etalon. I did some fishing on the internet for him and was able to find a basic manual. Hope that this may help?

Regards

Andy

Meade solar max manual

#4 KDC

KDC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thanks - unfortunately, this does not show any internal views or information on how the external etalon is attached to the front of the scope.

#5 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

I don't think we can talk about this too much on here because of the ToS of CN forum. You could try asking the question on Solarchat.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics