• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

So after much research and many posts here on CN, I dropped the hammer on the Orion 80ED. This scope will rest on my Vixen Porta II and serve as my grab-n-go.

Why this scope? Honestly, I am not entirely sure. I was really looking at the AT72ED but they they are on back-order. A few phone calls confirmed that no one really knows when they are arriving. Not good.

I've been an Orion fan for some time. Not because they are better, but because they were my first "real" scope. I own various other brands of astro gear but I always seem to look at Orion's offerings.

This scope takes both 1.25 as well as 2" EP's so I am in the market for a pair of 2" EP's. This is new to me so if anyone can suggest some budget-minded selections, please comment.

If this APO performs half as good as APO's are made out to be, I will thrilled.

#2 KWB

KWB

Hubble

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

I believe you will be. I've owned this very same scope/mount combination and for the modest amount of money spent,IMO optically it's a winner.
:waytogo:

#3 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

I am pretty pumped about it. I hope I have it before the holiday weekend. But it might not matter anyway... no clear skies in the forecast as far as I can see. Guess that's the way it goes when new astro goodies are bought!!

#4 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Good choice Steve!

#5 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

That should work great on your Porta II. The short tube makes it easy to reach the controls, and keep the eyepiece at a convenient height.

#6 steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

I wish UPS would update their system so I can find out when this will be here.... got tracking info but no movement yet.

#7 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Dundas, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Congratulations, Steve! Great match to the porta mount and I'm sure you will be very happy. I had an Orion ED80 for many years, and I enjoyed it a lot. I only got rid of mine because a 90mm came into my hands and the 80mm became redundant, but I have nothing but good things to say about the ED80 and I still think it is the best bang for your buck that you can get, considering how good they are and how reasonably priced they are. Enjoy!

#8 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

Hi Steve , you made a good choice here on your first APO , one of these was my first APO as well and loved it , great scope .
But be aware , this is the first step down the slippery slope of APO empty pockets .. :help: .
Brian.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics