Photo

Single exposure afocal/eyepiece projection?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dyslexic nam

dyslexic nam

Vanguard

• Loc: PEI, Canada

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

I have an LS60 on the way and have a question about very basic imaging.

I am blown away by the images on here, but I have never done any kind of imaging except to hook my DSLR to a stack of barlows or T ring adapter on an ep projection set up at night. All of these have been primitive single exposures. Without getting any more into the real astrophotography process (multiple images, stacking, etc.), I am wondering what kind of image an LS60 could produce with the same basic method. I know a lot more is achievable, and with a tracking mount I may someday get there, but for now I am curious what I can expect if I just 'point and shoot'.

#2 dyslexic nam

dyslexic nam

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

No? Odd that no one hase ever shot an unstacked single image through an H alpha scope.

Well, I got my mail notice that the scope is in, and the mount is in transit, so I may be the first.

#3 mhilscher

mhilscher

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cologne, Germany

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

i have tried. results were mixed, i held the camera, so lots of blurred shots, but in the end I find a single shot, to be more organic.

Attached Files

#4 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

• Loc: Utah

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Here is my single exposure shot of last years Annular Eclipse, taken with a Nikon D90.

Bill

Attached Files

#5 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

• Loc: Utah

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Here is another single shot. Focusing is the problem with a SLR, really hard to see on the LCD screen, especially with a fixed LCD screen. I have gone to a Nikon with a rotating screen, but have not tried it yet.

Bill

Attached Files

#6 dyslexic nam

dyslexic nam

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the replies all. Having just come in from trying out MY NEW LS60(!!!!!) I can relate to the focusing issue.

Did I mention that I got a new Lunt. Woo hoo! (I will post 1st impressions once the kids get put to bed).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics