4 replies to this topic

#1 Oldfield

Oldfield

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Overview:

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Monthly Challenge Imaging Competition in CCD Imaging & Processing Forum:

This competition is intended to be a fun way for you to improve your imaging abilities and a way for you to see many new images with a variety of equipment. All imagers are welcome and encouraged to enter.

Each month a single object will be selected for the competition by the winner from 2 months previous. Having a one month delay allows voting and selection of the next object and will give a full month's time for entries.

The winner of each competition gets to choose the next object and their image will be included in the Hall of Fame message thread. There are no other prizes.

Please include your imaging details such as location, date, telescope, guiding, exposure time, etc with your submission.

Rules:

1. Have fun! Support other contestants and be polite with your comments.
2. All entries must be captured within the same imaging season. For example, if the December target is the Orion Nebula, you must use images taken during the current winter, not any other year.
3. Image size is limited to 800x800 pixels and 200k in size.
4. Any equipment is allowed to be used in the images including rental equipment; with the only exception of DSLR, since we have another forum specifically for DSLR.
5. All image taking and processing must be done by your team, including equipment setup.
6. Each person may submit only 1 entry per month. However, you may edit your submission and replace the image with a newer one if you wish using the Edit function.
7. Winners will be selected by forum members, the one which receives the highest number of vote will be the winner.

Please submit your image in this thread, comment can be made in the same thread as well.

#2 Tyler Allred

Tyler Allred

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Utah, USA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Here is my entry for the June challenge. It was taken with my homemade 12.5" Zambuto astrograph, dubbed the "Supernova Astrograph". I spent four nights on this target, but one night had terrible seeing... so bad that I decided not to use the data at all. The night I collected the color data wasn't a great night either, but much better. The luminance data was a different story. I finally have the collimation of my scope nearly perfect, and I got two great nights with stable skies, which is unusual here in Utah. We always seem to have the jetstream right over our heads and the seeing is frequently quite bad. At any rate, I combined the decent color data with really good luminance for this image. I have attached a 67% reduced crop, but the full version is worth a look as well.

[Click here to go to my website to see the full version]

I think I might have a new personal favorite image in my collection. I am really happy with the way the scope is now performing.

Attached Files

#3 Oldfield

Oldfield

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

Only one entry? We shall wait a couple of days.

#4 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Glad at least someone got some clear skies this month. Has been 2 months since our skies have been clear enough to image here in our area.

#5 Oldfield

Oldfield

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Since we only have one entry, no voting required, please help us to pick our next target for August, thanks.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics