• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

Mike,
I really like(d) my Celestron 8" dew shield, it held up really well; I lost one that came with my scope when I bought it in 2008; it was 10+ years old but I great condition. The one I bought for my 8" as a replace was the same flexible one from Celestron. They hold up well as are nice and lightweight.

My CPC 1100 came with one already (astro zap aluminum version with the not lches and an opening for Hyperstar cables). It's a bit easier to put verses the Celestron flexible one with Velcro. But is that worth the $135 price difference, no.

I'm in vacation with family sans any astronomy related equipment :-(. However when I get back in town, I snap some pictures of the case with the scope in it.

-Mike

thanks Mike. I appreciate it.

#27 St Pete Keith

St Pete Keith

Vostok 1

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hi Mike, I'm pretty quiet on these boards but I can say (living in the St Pete/Tampa area) that Dew Control and good chair are probably the best investments early on. You can upgrade eyepieces later on after looking through some at star parties etc...
The DewBuster is a fantastic addition! (I used it along with a shroud when I had my C11) I found a used Stardust Chair that works great as well. A 33ah battery from Northern Tool with a simple 12v plug attached would serve for a couple nights and cost less than 50.00 (I got 2 on sale there for 39.99/ea)
Congratulations on the CPC1100, I have the mount that I've converted for "other uses" (came with a broken OTA and just love tinkering) since they can handle quite a bit of weight!
PM me if you have any questions...

#28 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi Mike, I'm pretty quiet on these boards but I can say (living in the St Pete/Tampa area) that Dew Control and good chair are probably the best investments early on. You can upgrade eyepieces later on after looking through some at star parties etc...
The DewBuster is a fantastic addition! (I used it along with a shroud when I had my C11) I found a used Stardust Chair that works great as well. A 33ah battery from Northern Tool with a simple 12v plug attached would serve for a couple nights and cost less than 50.00 (I got 2 on sale there for 39.99/ea)
Congratulations on the CPC1100, I have the mount that I've converted for "other uses" (came with a broken OTA and just love tinkering) since they can handle quite a bit of weight!
PM me if you have any questions...

thanks Keith. I have added a Chair and dew controller/heater, but I am still looking for the power supply. I will check out the battery/12v option at norther tool.

#29 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW NH

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

Mike, I believe it was you that posted a question regarding a Scopebuggy in a different thread. If I am correct, and you're still considering getting a SB, a 12v marine battery may be the cheapest route. The battery tray SB sells works well when repositioned (has to clear the tripod spreader bars) and with that setup, weight and battery capacity will never be an issue. A decent marine battery can be found for $60-70. Add an $8 battery box and a few 12v cig lighter sockets and yer good to go. Keep in mind you'll need to have a charger for the battery, but anyone with a car, riding lawn mower, motorcycle, etc, should own one anyway.

#30 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

yes, I had posted a SB question more out of curiosity. unfortunately, I do not have a garage so I would not be able to utilize one like I would like.

#31 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Motorcycle Lithium Iron LiFe, http://www.shoraipow...ucts/batteries/ (just one maker but the one I bought - for a bike) are:

Expensive!
Light! Very light. I though the box was empty when it arrived.
Hold a charge, while on the shelf, for a very very long time with minimal discharge.

Lead Acid is cheaper, but you have to worry about sulfating, discharge, hydrogen gas, acid leaks and weight.

I have not really stress tested my battery for how long it will power the scope but so far is seems to have a lot more poop than the Starizona battery I bought.

Plus the darn things will take a charge just like a lead acid battery. :whee:

#32 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

Come and visit our astronomy club! :)
The St. Petersburg Astronomy Club.
We meet the 4th Friday of each month at 8pm at the Science Center of Pinellas County. Nov. & Dec. we meet the 3rd Friday due to holidays.

#33 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Come and visit our astronomy club! :)
The St. Petersburg Astronomy Club.
We meet the 4th Friday of each month at 8pm at the Science Center of Pinellas County. Nov. & Dec. we meet the 3rd Friday due to holidays.

I met a gentleman from your club at the last public viewing event @ MOSI. I cant recall his name, but he and his wife were at the event. he had a Meade SCT. a real nice guy. I was hoping to get to one of your events.

#34 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Mariner 2

• Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Mike,
......I'm in vacation with family sans any astronomy related equipment :-(. However when I get back in town, I snap some pictures of the case with the scope in it.

-Mike

Mike,
Sorry it has take so long to some pics posted of the case in action. I've posted the pics in the tread for the case. CPC1100 Case posting

Also worth mentioning an interesting thread in another CloudyNight's section about Observing Chairs.

Basically the same chair I bought 3 or 4 years ago for $105 plus shipping can be had on Amazon for $79.89 (Vestil CPRO-800LP). Also the Vestil CPRO-600 that sells on Amazon for $118.00 is the same exact chair as the Stardust observing chair that sells for $185 through various astronomy stores.

-Mike

#35 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:48 AM

Thanks mike for the link. Turns out I already purchased the husky case and did some mods myself, so it looks like it will do the job.

I wish I had seen the link on the vestil chair. I ended up getting the stardust but am please none the less. It would have been nice to get it for 1/2 the price but I feel it is worth twice what I paid for it regardless.

#36 astrocramp

astrocramp

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

I really good all-weather scope cover is what I found to a be a key purchase for my CPC1100:

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_t365.htm

If I know I'm going to be observing several nights in one week, I just leave it outside with some comfort that even if it rains it will be ok. Takes the hassle out of setup. I do have a scope buggy, but my yard is too bumpy and to get it under my patio roof there's about a 3" patio step...too many close calls of a catastrophic tip-over, now I just carry it out.

With the cover, I don't leave it outside continuously, I'm too paranoid for that, but some folks swear by this cover and leave it outside.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics