Roofing material and construction:

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southwestern Indiana

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

I live in southern Indiana and am in the process of building an 8’x12’ raised deck roll off roof observatory. The deck is completed and I am beginning to wonder about roofing materials. I’m trying to keep the weight to a minimum and would prefer a reflective material so as to minimize heat reflection while viewing. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Clear skies,
Bill

Attached Files

#2 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

My roofing is normally shingled plywood construction. at 12x20ft, it was about 2,000 lbs. Not particularly light, but I'm using a BYO motor+track to move mine. I used all BYO parts with a center mounted track, so I had to reinforce the internal wall the motor was mounted on.

At 8x12 with a light construction and low friction rollers you should be able to move an 8x12 by hand, or with a hand winch.

#3 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

I would explore some of the polycarbonate (plastics) roof panels that come in colors and various degrees of opacity.
Michael

#4 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thank you for the prompt reply John. I am trying to stay away from asphalt shingles due to the weight, however my budget might dictate otherwise.
Clear skies,
Bill

#5 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

Thanks Michael, I shall look into the polycarbonate panels. Do you think they might weigh more or less than aluminum panels of the same size.
Clear skies,
Bill

#6 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

I would explore some of the polycarbonate (plastics) roof panels that come in colors and various degrees of opacity.
Michael

If This is what you are referring to, I wouldn't recommend it. I have these panels over my back porch, and they become brittle and I now have many leaks where the nails (with rubber washers) secured it. I have to replace the whole thing, and will not be using these plastic panels again. Also they do not reflect the heat as well as a white metal roof would.

#7 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

@Carol, just for laughs, how long did it last? It look like fairly inexpensive stuff to replace. Not that I'm recommending this to anyone, just curios how it might work out...

#8 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

I live in southern Indiana and am in the process of building an 8’x12’ raised deck roll off roof observatory. The deck is completed and I am beginning to wonder about roofing materials. I’m trying to keep the weight to a minimum and would prefer a reflective material so as to minimize heat reflection while viewing. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Clear skies,
Bill

Bill, I used steel siding that you can get form your local building supply. I do not know if you have a Menards in Indiana yet that is where I got mine from. The siding material is nice and light weight and can be used for roofing. You do not have to sheath the roof with plywood either when using it. Once you get your roof trusses up,place 1x4's across the trusses,on top of them, every 16"'s,starting at the overhang end. Attach the steel to the trusses with a minimum 2 1/2" rubber washered screw. Your local Menards, can help with all you will need. It really saves on the weight. I do not have pic's of my observatory as it is 75 miles from where I live.Otherwise I could show you what I am talking about. Steel roofing is the way to go though for weight saving..

#9 JJK

JJK

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

In my manually operated 8'x8' RoR observatory, I installed metal roofing (on a plywood deck) with a version of paint that allegedly reflects more IR than conventional paint. My color choice (copper) wasn't optimum, according to the advertising, but the structure doesn't get much hotter than ambient (the observatory is ventilated), and I think it looks good.

#10 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Carol, you have confirmed my suspicions concerning the polycarbonate panels. I was really concerned with UV derogation of that material.
Clear skies,
Bill

#11 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

[/quote]Bill, I used steel siding that you can get form your local building supply. I do not know if you have a Menards in Indiana yet that is where I got mine from. The siding material is nice and light weight and can be used for roofing. You do not have to sheath the roof with plywood either when using it. Once you get your roof trusses up,place 1x4's across the trusses,on top of them, every 16"'s,starting at the overhang end. Attach the steel to the trusses with a minimum 2 1/2" rubber washered screw. Your local Menards, can help with all you will need. It really saves on the weight. I do not have pic's of my observatory as it is 75 miles from where I live.Otherwise I could show you what I am talking about. Steel roofing is the way to go though for weight saving.. [/quote]
Thank you Tim, I have been leaning very heavily toward the steel panels and you have clarified a few points I was confused about. We do have a Menard's but I usually shop at Lowe's because they give a military veterans discount--Gotta support anyone who supports our Vets. I shall look into your suggestion and thanks again for a comprehensive reply to my request for assistance.
Clear skies,
Bill

#12 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Tim above gives a good method.....
Steel roofing is easy to get in a dozen colours, and the better suppliers can order it pre-cut to length (might have to talk to a local lumberyard, not the big-box for that)
and aluminium is still available > 2/3 the weight of steel.
Russ

#13 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

In my manually operated 8'x8' RoR observatory, I installed metal roofing (on a plywood deck) with a version of paint that allegedly reflects more IR than conventional paint. My color choice (copper) wasn't optimum, according to the advertising, but the structure doesn't get much hotter than ambient (the observatory is ventilated), and I think it looks good.

thanks for the reply and by the way what was the brand name on that paint?
Clear skies,
Bill

#14 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Steel roofing is easy to get in a dozen colours, and the better suppliers can order it pre-cut to length (might have to talk to a local lumberyard, not the big-box for that)
Russ

Thanks Russ, where might I find the aluminum panels you mentioned?
Clear skies,
Bill

#15 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Russ

Russ, I have found that the weight of the steel is negligible.I had no trouble installing the sheets myself with only the help of one person handing them up to me. I believe they will handle the weather better,ie.hail,than aluminum. My opinion anyway. Of course it is always best to have 2 people when installing.

#16 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

As far as cutting the steel panels, I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade in it. You can also use a circular saw with a panel blade set backwards to cut the thin steel. Just make sure you have good eye protection when cutting. Others can chime in on the cutting of the steel also. I placed the cut ends up at the peek so as they would be covered by the ridge piece anyway.

#17 JJK

JJK

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Clear skies,
Bill

A version of Kynar. IIRC, the panels we're made by CMS. I bought them from The Roof Center. I'll look up the details tonight and upload a picture too.

#18 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Clear skies,
Bill

A version of Kynar. IIRC, the panels we're made by CMS. I bought them from The Roof Center. I'll look up the details tonight and upload a picture too.

Great, I am looking forward to your photo too.
Clear skies,
Bill

#19 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

I ended up buying a electric metal sheer (scissors) on Amazon for about 30 bucks. The reviews complained about it not cutting thick metal, but it cut through steel roofing like butter. Worked great for trimming the excess off one edge.

Steel roofing is very light. My 10x10 is very easy to roll off by hand.

Chris

#20 stmguy

stmguy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Western NH

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

I got my metal roof panels from Home Depot , they cut them to the inch , no extra charge . If you go with Home Depot order the screws at the same time , for some reason they are double the cost in the store
Norm

#21 JJK

JJK

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

Here's a cropped image of the Kynar-painted metal roof (which provides the look of new copper).

EDITED: These are Classic Batten Panels made by Coastal Metal Service. The color is Classic Copper (a "cool" color). From their website:

"CLASSIC BATTEN® panels are available in all of our unique COLOR LOC® Kynar 500®/Hylar 5000® painted 24 gauge steel and selected aluminum paint colors."

I installed the panels myself, and after having done it once, I now know much better how to do it. It looks fine, but I would crimp the panel ends (the ends that face you, not the standing seam ends, which click together) when it's warm out (it's hard to bend cold metal). Also, I mistakenly cut the Z-channel that keeps driving rain from coming in the top of the roof (where the panels meet the cap) into a lot of small pieces instead of simply cutting as one piece to the length of the roof (that's what happens when you're cold and tired).

This roof is a few years old and still looks new.

Attached Files

#22 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

nice look!

#23 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Here's a cropped image of the Kynar-painted metal roof (which provides the look of new copper).

EDITED: These are Classic Batten Panels made by Coastal Metal Service. The color is Classic Copper (a "cool" color). From their website:

"CLASSIC BATTEN® panels are available in all of our unique COLOR LOC® Kynar 500®/Hylar 5000® painted 24 gauge steel and selected aluminum paint colors."

I installed the panels myself, and after having done it once, I now know much better how to do it. It looks fine, but I would crimp the panel ends (the ends that face you, not the standing seam ends, which click together) when it's warm out (it's hard to bend cold metal). Also, I mistakenly cut the Z-channel that keeps driving rain from coming in the top of the roof (where the panels meet the cap) into a lot of small pieces instead of simply cutting as one piece to the length of the roof (that's what happens when you're cold and tired).

This roof is a few years old and still looks new.

I like the look of having hidden fasteners. Wish I could have afforded it for my rolloff roof.I had to use the exposed screw on style.

#24 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Aluminium roofing can be ordered from lumber yards, though I agree that it might not repel hail as well.... the steel panels are tempered or hardened somewhat, so as to resist denting. The steel ones aren't hard to handle - I've put up 18' panels by myself, but I will admit that I've installed perhaps 30 metal roofs, so I will try things that might intimidate hobby builders....
a few tricks of installing:
If you pay real close attention to purlin spacing, you can pre-drill a whole side's supply of panels at once. (I always pre-drill, it makes installing the screws a whole lot easier) Lift (not slide) the panels off the stack, to avoid scratches from metal shavings between layers.

Don't use the torque control on your cordless, a knot or hard place will release before the screw is tight, and it'll leak....tighten each screw by eye, looking for the beginning of neoprene washer bulge.
A stop-block fabricated to support the panel at the bottom edge with just the right overhang makes life a lot easier, especially on steeper roofs.
A pair of vise-grip pliers clamped on the top edge of the panel makes towing the sheet up the roof possible.
I use metal-cutting blades in a 4" angle grinder to cut panels, it's noisy, sparks and shrapnel fly out (protect your eyes and ears....) and you usually have to clean up the rough edges with a file or sander.... but it's the fastest way.....

In cooler climates, a layer of thin ply on the rafters and under the purlins will stop condensation from forming on - and dripping from....the panels.
R

#25 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Mariner 2

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

"I got my metal roof panels from Home Depot , they cut them to the inch , no extra charge" Good to know Norm, did you order the panels and screws on line?
Clear skies,
Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics