Cudos and Thanks to Southern Stars!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

I purchased SkySafari+ for my IPad a few months ago and I'm really impressed with the app. This week I just purchased an IPhone and today I thought I'd buy a copy for it, just because I usually have the phone with me even when I don't have my IPad.

I went to the app store and I was just going to buy the standard version as I don't think I'll be using the phone at the scope very often. I was a little annoyed with myself for missing the recent sale, but I didn't know I was getting the phone while the sale was on. As I scanned the different versions, I noticed that instead of a price on the plus version, the button just said "download".

Now in all my experience with computers over the last couple of decades, both PC and Mac, if I wanted a copy of any software on more than one device, I had to purchase a new copy for each, so imagine my surprise and delight that Southern Stars would allow me to have a copy on at least two devices for the price of 1! (not sure how many devices I can use?)

So, Southern Stars now "locked me in!" as loyal customer. At some point I'll probably purchase the full Pro version for my laptop. The app is so good, I was willing to pay the full retail price to put a copy on my phone, but this beats any "sale" I've come across.

Would I recommend SkySafari to a friend? I recommend it not only to friends, but anyone else who asks or doesn't ask my opinion! Thanks SS!

#2 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Nice story, nice to see that once you purchased it, it was available for other devices.

Now you have me thinking. I just bought the same one recently for my Iphone5. I have a Android tablet with another email address and buy my Apps through Google Play.

I wonder if I can still download a version for my tablet since I already paid for it for my phone?

Bob

#3 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

I don't think so... the reason it works on iOS is because all of a person's devices use iTunes store with the same Apple ID. Since you would be using it in two different ecosystems there's no way for your purchase of one copy on iOS to be known in Android-land.

#4 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Yes, I love developers who put an iPad-optimized version and an iPhone/iPod-optimized version in the same one-time app purchase. I wish more would do that.

#5 Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Any app that has a + in the upper left corner of the price means that it's a universal app and is optimized for both the iPhone and iPad. You could still download an iphone app onto the iPad though, but it will either have to be run at the iPhone resolution, or the 2x mode, which scales the app but can be hit or miss as far as quality goes.

#6 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Nice story, nice to see that once you purchased it, it was available for other devices.

Now you have me thinking. I just bought the same one recently for my Iphone5. I have a Android tablet with another email address and buy my Apps through Google Play.

I wonder if I can still download a version for my tablet since I already paid for it for my phone?

Bob

As some already mentioned, no. This is a feature of the store and NOT of the app developer. BTW, the same is true for Android apps. I buy it once in the google market and I can load it on all my devices. I have both Sky Safari Pro and Satellite Safari loaded on my phone as well as both my tablets and love the apps.

#7 av8or

av8or

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

If only they released a version for my Kindle Fire...

#8 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

If only they released a version for my Kindle Fire...

They don't release verions for specific devices -- they release a version to the Google marketplace. Heck my two tablets are HP Touchpads that shipped running WebOS but that I've since loaded Android on. (One ICS and the other with JB.)

You just need a way to access google's marketplace. Lack of access to it is a decision that Amazon made. If you don't mind doing some hacking then i think you can remedy that. Or you could spend $180 - $200 on a new tablet that comes with the google marketplace.

#9 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

Amazon released the Kindle Fire as a conduit to Amazon's content, not to compete in the Android market.

#10 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Ok, maybe then I'll just try the free version on my Tablet to go along with the plus version on my phone?

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:04 AM

Ok, maybe then I'll just try the free version on my Tablet to go along with the plus version on my phone?

Is there a free version of Sky Safari? I don't know of one. I believe you can root your Fire and gain access to the Playstore.

As has been said, the Kindle Fire was released with the apparent intention of locking owners into Amazon. The Android O.S. is really about increasing Google's hold on the information world. They give the OS away because they want you in the Google world. Amazon wants you in the Amazon world.

When Apple rolled out their latest OS, (or at least one of their latest), they dropped Google maps from the app store and had their own map app. As most know, it was a disaster and soon Google Maps was back and getting the business, that's all Google wants.

I do believe Google doesn't put all the features in the IOS version that are in the Android version...

And, as someone else said, the Playstore works like the Apple store, once you buy it, you can download it on all your devices. I have all three versions of Sky Safari, use the Pro and have it on my phone, my two tablets and using Blue Stacks, it runs on my Windows machine though I haven't quite got the database files figured out yet.

The whole app thing is just so nice when compared to the old desktop software thing.

Jon

#12 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

Do they make Sky Safari or another app/program for Windows 8 Phones????

#13 Seldom

Seldom

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

This might be the place to ask that question.

#14 tigerroach

tigerroach

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

It's a great ap! I hardly ever use my hardcopy star atlas when observing any more.

#15 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm new to this app thing, so I was pretty surprised that I only had to buy one copy that would work on any of my devices. I'll check it out with some of the other apps I have. Thanks for the info!

#16 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

No, we don't have a version for the Windows phone. We don't have any immediate plans to port to that platform, but you never know what the future will bring.

#17 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

I like this app more each time I use it. Makes the other stellarium apps unnecessary.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics