• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever reported a new object in the sky? Who did you report it to? and how hard was it to report? This can be everything from comets to super novas the universe is the limit!

#2 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

I saw a strange blueish streak in the sky with an unusual, really wierd looking object at the end of it. On closer observation it was just my ex-wife on her broom coming in for halloween. You never know what strange things we see sometimes. On a serious note, I'm not where or to who we would report something strange to. But we here on CN will always listen (read) to what you say.
David

#3 Mr Greybush

Mr Greybush

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

my ex wife used to ride her daily Ohh did I say that lol

#4 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

Yes, as a kid way back in 1972, I thought I had discovered a comet near M33. I reported it to the Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams via telegram and got a nice letter back from Brian Marsden, explaining that what I had seen was indeed a comet, but was periodic comet Giacobini-Zinner. Now, it is a heck of a lot easier to do this with quick reference to on-line sources for information as well as e-mails to the proper astronomical authorities:

How to Report a Discovery

Clear skies to you.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics