CG5-GT RA slew continues slightly AFTER keypress

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

As the subject states, when using BOTH the hand control and Nexremote, when I press the left arrow key (I am assuming it is the RA-East direction) the slew continues for a short while after I let up on the key.

The other three directions stop pretty much instantly when I let off the direction key, but the left arrow, motion continues. If I change the rate, the amount of "carry-over" changes also, rate 8 gives lots of overshoot, rate 2 gives virtually none.

I recently tore down, cleaned, and relubed the mount, but the problem still continues. I have tried to move the OTA forward/backward in the saddle, as well as changing the balance with the counterweights.....still no end.

Any thoughts?

Andy

#2 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

mine overshoots on RA when doing a Goto where it slews for a long distance some time but when using the hand control for manual movement i've never seen that behavior but it could be related to blacklash/backlash settings in the RA axis. also what firmware are you on for both hand control and motor control? this can be found in utilities>version

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

As the subject states, when using BOTH the hand control and Nexremote, when I press the left arrow key (I am assuming it is the RA-East direction) the slew continues for a short while after I let up on the key.

The other three directions stop pretty much instantly when I let off the direction key, but the left arrow, motion continues. If I change the rate, the amount of "carry-over" changes also, rate 8 gives lots of overshoot, rate 2 gives virtually none.

I recently tore down, cleaned, and relubed the mount, but the problem still continues. I have tried to move the OTA forward/backward in the saddle, as well as changing the balance with the counterweights.....still no end.

Any thoughts?

Andy

What's "a short while"? How far in arc minutes, approximately?

Do you have any anti backlash settings in the HC? If so, remove them.

What speed are you at?

Have you tried a reset to factory defaults?

#4 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I cant estimate the distance in arcminutes, what I can say is that the extra movement is close to the amount that is selected in the slew rate. When rate 9 is selected, the extra amount is close to the amount if you pressed the key. The amount lessens as the slew rate is diminished.

It feels like the key is stuck..or behaves that way. But its behavior is the same in nexremote. I reset to defaults with the hand control, do I have to do the same in nexremote also?

Thanks!

Andy

#5 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I cant estimate the distance in arcminutes, what I can say is that the extra movement is close to the amount that is selected in the slew rate. When rate 9 is selected, the extra amount is close to the amount if you pressed the key. The amount lessens as the slew rate is diminished.

It feels like the key is stuck..or behaves that way. But its behavior is the same in nexremote. I reset to defaults with the hand control, do I have to do the same in nexremote also?

Thanks!

Andy

yes, the nexremote is like a whole separate hand control, you can even select older hand control versions and run them on your mount.

did you check your backlash and anti-backlash settings in your controller? does the mount have play in the RA axis when the clutch is engaged? (backlash) i just got my mount 3 days ago and it was used but i have almost zero play in either axis but i've used other synta EQ goto's that had considerable play and thus backlash, my club's Sirius EQ-G was one of them and i managed to fix it by adjusting the worm gear engagements, before i did that if i went to move it manually back and forth there would be a good delay between pressing and it moving the opposite direction because it had excessive backlash and it was not setup in the controller to compensate for it. if you get the engagements just right you don't need backlash settings because there will be minimal play going from one direction to the other. otherwise the only thing i can think of is you're not balanced very well or have a heavy load on the mount. what is it that you are using on it?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics