LX80 problems to be addressed

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

I don't know much and can't say much but I've been been told that the problems reported here on CN will be addressed. How and when are still unanswered questions but they will be addressed.

Here in part is what I was told: "Mike, it is okay to let CN users know that the mount problems are being addressed, and I would encourage those users experiencing problems to pass them on to you."

I've been asked to send the "Letter to Meade" and to include any other users that have specific problems. So if you have an LX80 and have a specific issue, PM me and I'll add you to the letter/email that I send.

#2 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hmm. Might be good news for us unpaid "beta" testers. Hopefully a fix for the spring loaded worm gear will be tops on the list. Thanks Mike. :bow:

#3 brokenwave

brokenwave

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Mike,
I sent you a PM,
Thanks,

#4 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

If your source is reliable, that sounds like great news!

#5 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

If your source is reliable, that sounds like great news!

Very reliable.

#6 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hmm. Might be good news for us unpaid "beta" testers. Hopefully a fix for the spring loaded worm gear will be tops on the list. Thanks Mike. :bow:

Jim,

The impression I got was that there are going to be a lot of changes. I wouldn't expect to get a free new mount or any payment for out Beta testing. How any changes get out to current uses is still a decision to be made down the road a bit.

#7 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

How about that!

#8 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Will Meade ever regain trust in this mount, even after any fixes?

#9 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Will Meade ever regain trust in this mount, even after any fixes?

Royce,

I don't see why not. It will take some time but its doable. The LX800 was a bigger disaster but that seems to have been resolved and the current users appear happy. Haven't heard ANY negatives about the LX850 from people actually using them now. I'm sure the LX850 is important to Meade but I was told today that the LX80 is their bread and butter.

Once the problems are resolved who wouldn't want a good mount for less than half the price of a competitive produce that has similar features. I'm sure that there are individuals out there that won't ever buy a Meade mount now no matter what - but they would have to be in the minority.

Keep in mind that Meade should be a much different company in the not too distant future!

#10 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

A good business model is to take care of the customers you already have. I'm in the market for a new scope to mount on the LX80. If they come through with some fixes, especially the worm spring to stop the bouncing so it can handle more weight, that new telescope will probably be a Meade SCT.

#11 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hello Mike...

This is most excellant news.
And you are a very BIG part of it.
Well done.

#12 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:25 PM

Thanks David, but any changes that are coming to the LX80 are because of everyone and the fact that these threads are being monitored.

Mike

#13 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Thanks David, but any changes that are coming to the LX80 are because of everyone and the fact that these threads are being monitored.

Mike

Or could it be that there are so many problems with it? As has been said it might now become the LX-85. And with a new price. That is if it is not completely eliminated. New owners just might want to go in a different direction. ;)

#14 R L Harris

R L Harris

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Independence,MO

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

This sounds like good information to me I will watch see!
As it may be several months before I purchase new
scope and mount!

#15 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

Mike

Or could it be that there are so many problems with it? As has been said it might now become the LX-85. And with a new price. That is if it is not completely eliminated. New owners just might want to go in a different direction. ;)

I think that any changes to the mount that we see are because it needs it and there are people watching what goes on here. An LX85? Wouldn't surprise me. Free to all current users? I guess that would surprise me.

All I know now is that design changes have already started. It will probably be several weeks before we see anything definite.

If I were in the market today for a combo mount like the LX80 and could wait a few months, the LX80/85 would still be on my watch list. With the nearest competitor being over 2X the price of this mount it could very well be worth the wait.

Meade has mine for repairs now. I'm ancious to see if anything seems different when it returns. Maybe I broke mine a few weeks too early!

#16 DuiA1

DuiA1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

Mike, just saw your post. My new mount is on its way back and I should have it Monday . I have no idea if it has any new improvements. Did they verify if improvements have been made or when they will be made? Anyhow, congrats to us all, I believe we may have made a difference and Meade is listening. They will continue to have my business if they make this right.

#17 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

Mike, just saw your post. My new mount is on its way back and I should have it Monday . I have no idea if it has any new improvements. Did they verify if improvements have been made or when they will be made? Anyhow, congrats to us all, I believe we may have made a difference and Meade is listening. They will continue to have my business if they make this right.

I don't really know much for sure. I was told that "Design changes are going on now". Still, I'd be surprised if there were any significant changes yet but who knows? Short of taking it apart (I was tempted before I sent mine back) I don't know how we would tell for sure.

#18 dksolar3294

dksolar3294

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

Mike, The LX80 does not autoguide in Polar mode, at least mine doesn't. So, please add that item to your list of LX80 issues to be addressed.

#19 DuiA1

DuiA1

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Is it fair to say the issues requiring a fix include:
1. Spring loaded worm gear
2. Plastic gears to metal
3. Tripod Head redesign for improved robustness
4. Autoguiding capability

Anyone care to embellish on this list? Mike can we continue on this vein? Feel free to add delete or expand on the items. Thoughts?

#20 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Viking 1

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

"Mike, The LX80 does not autoguide in Polar mode, at least mine doesn't."

This still intrigues me, as i can get the firmware to work with the old and new APM909 lumps, as well as serial controls, and it does respect the commands.
( I am using LX90 motor cards on a test bench tho. )
That said, if you are not polar one star ( or have PEC ON ), DEC guiding in Polar can be "woofy" with A3S4 firmware
as it behaves rather oddly now.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#21 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Mike,

My hat's off to you for hanging in there and pushing for the right things to happen.

Bravo to the whole crew of folks who came together to document the LX80's performance and technical capabilities; getting a meaningful resolution will be because of this effort.

-Rich

#22 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Viking 1

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

As one that has gone through 5 months of phone exchanges with Meade and troubles with the LX80, in spite of their new takeover, I believe in Meade's desire to make customers happy and those working for them, China, Mexico and San Diego, I do wish them well.
I am happy with the LX80 now, so hats off and time will tell.
My regards,
Jim

#23 dksolar3294

dksolar3294

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

Of all the LX80 owners, I'm guessing only a small fraction monitor CN and this thread in particular. Therefore, it's likely the majority of LX80 owners are completely unaware of Meade's forthcoming management changes and a possible fix for the LX80. In fairness to all LX80 owners, it would seem proper for Meade to issue an LX80 recall notice and contact all owners who submitted the LX80 product registration form. Those early customers who in good faith pre-ordered an LX80 in Yr2011 and took delivery in Summer 2012 are rapidly approaching the end of their 1 yr warranty period. Therefore, it would further seem proper for Meade to issue the recall notice this summer before their 1 yr period expires, or at least, waive the warranty period for those first deliveries until the fix is implemented.

#24 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

I called Meade yesterday as I didn't remember if I registered my mount. CS said your sales receipt is all you need for warranty work and they don't do warranty registration.. So, how could Meade contact us? I also asked if he knew anything about Meade addressing the mounts problems and it was like he had heard it for the first time. He could have been new, I guess, and not privy to any of that info.

#25 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Of all the LX80 owners, I'm guessing only a small fraction monitor CN and this thread in particular. Therefore, it's likely the majority of LX80 owners are completely unaware of Meade's forthcoming management changes and a possible fix for the LX80. In fairness to all LX80 owners, it would seem proper for Meade to issue an LX80 recall notice and contact all owners who submitted the LX80 product registration form. Those early customers who in good faith pre-ordered an LX80 in Yr2011 and took delivery in Summer 2012 are rapidly approaching the end of their 1 yr warranty period. Therefore, it would further seem proper for Meade to issue the recall notice this summer before their 1 yr period expires, or at least, waive the warranty period for those first deliveries until the fix is implemented.

From what I've been told, how the current users will be taken care of hasn't been decided. It will probably be another 4 weeks or so before anything official is announced. Though I don't have any firm commitment from anyone yet, the impression I get is that something will be done and there are redesigns of several aspects of the LX80 that are currently underway... I think we just need to hang in there a little longer.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics